Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Plate setter maintenance

I used my BGE for the first time yesterday. My plate setter has a bunch of dripping that burnt to it while smoking a turkey. Do I need to worry about drippings on the plate setter? Do I need to keep scraping it clean? Should I wrap the plate setter in aluminum foil?

I've only used it once and I'm completely thrilled with it. I want to make sure in caring for it properly.



  • I would keep it relatively clean, but I don't like wrapping it - just my preference. Best thing is to use a drip pan, foil lined. I use a Dollar store pizza pan same size as the setter. Easy clean up and you do not run the risk of burnt taste on the next cook. You can burn it off, but why not just avoid it in the first place? 
    Delta B.C. - Move over coffee, this is job for alcohol!
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    i just lay a piece of aluminum foil on top when cooking
  • jjmillsjjmills Posts: 117
    I also lay a piece of foil on top and just curl up the edges.  Cheap and fast
     LG. BGE  Straight up Cheese head from Little Chute, WI
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 2,530
    you can also turn it upside down and burn the stuff off prior to cook or post the cook you just finished, personally I don't worry about it on most cooks.  If I am making a pork butt or a longer cook I for sure put a drip pan otherwise the fat will seep out of the egg eventually. 
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    Keep it simple.  Alum foil or an alum foil pan on PS.
  • TanoTano Posts: 4
    Duganboy is 100% correct, use either, if you use just foil fold edges up.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.