Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What do you like LEAST about your egg?

In an effort to make something good, better and to address possible operator error, I ask the question.  What bugs you about your egg?  Surely there are aspects of the egg that frustrate or annoy you.  For me it's start-up time.  From the time I strike the match, to food on the grate, I'm looking at about 45 minutes.  I'm using one fire starter in the middle of the lump, lid open and then waiting for a good, even glow before putting food on.  Very likely operator error - input appreciated. 

Also not crazy about the color.  Or the shape.  Or the fact that I have a medium and it's called "big".  : )

But lovin' the food!

Signal Mountain, TN

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'd like a built-in leaf blower to stoke the temp up from ambient to bronze-age in like, 5 minutes.

Also, maybe a laser somethinoranother that does somecoolstufforanother.  ('cause lasers are just too cool)

Oh, and a decent gasket   FIXED
    A High-que fire grate NOT FIXED

And a beer tap/dispenser.

And like, a tether, like what's on your gas cap so you don't lose it, but on the ceramic cap so you don't knock it off and break it when you're drunk.  (yeah, cool...yeah yeah)
    Just messin with ya...it's almost perfect the way it is.
    edited November 2012
    There isn't anything i dislike about my egg except for the fact i'm 5000 miles away from it and can't use it for another three weeks.
    For high temp cooks, light your lump at 12, 4 and 8 o'clock and then spread it evenly around the clock. You'll get up to higher temps quicker. For low/slow cooks only light the center.
    The color is not an issue for me and sorry but it's a "Big Green Egg" and you just happen to have a medium one.
    :D
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    The original price tag is what I like least about the egg.
  • nolaegghead
    Hashmaker - you must be in low earth orbit - coooool!  (or you're overseas)  hang in there, buddy!
    Just messin with ya...it's almost perfect the way it is.
    Agreed.  Almost perfect...as in...even the hottest babe has a round-ish shaped head.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • I use a heat gun in three different places (roughly a minute a spot) to get the flames going, stir it all up and shut the lid. Start to desired temp in less than 10 minutes. (My heat gun is from an old shrink-wrap machine. It used to double as a sandwich toaster when I did the shrink-wrapping in my store's back room.)

"Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • I think for the most part I don't have many hang-ups other than I do think the cost could come down some.  I think they would sell more if lowered.  I talk to folks that would love to have one but they just can't afford it.  Mine was a gift from family.  Love it!!

Doug

LG, MiniMax BGE

• nolaegghead
    @hapster - dude. Join my world.  I can't sleep at night 'cause of my heart-felt empathy of my single-egg-family---single-egg's feelings, being alone without a frie-eeend.  I know, I feel the shame.  REMEDY THE SITUATION - buy another.  Oh the humanity!  I sure will (get a baby brother for the only child).
    Limited grill space
    George
  • Ash removal.  I tend to get ashes all over the place when removing them.  I've thought about trying to make a chute so they can fall into a ash can without getting all over the floor.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    You should do the good and the ugly with the bad:

The bad: Cost, weight and that they CAN crack!

The ugly: Can't (don't want to) eat out at as many places anymore!

The good: The food, the 'hobby', the social impact!

ahhhhy - ahhhhy - aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh !

I've found fire starters to be the slowest method to get the Egg going and only use them when I have all day and want to do a low and slow. For 'after work' fires I use the chimney or the alcohol method and have no trouble getting the Egg to 400F dome in 15-20 minutes as long as the lump can breathe.
  • BGE needs a better factory gasket. 
  • Like VI said...ash removal, a little breeze and the stuff goes all over the deck. 

Opelika, Alabama
  • I would like to see better lid control. I'm waiting for the day that someone tries to help me and slams the lid closed.

• Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    I wish it was portable ,just to scared to break it if I took it anywere :(
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Gasket is the only gripe I have about it, and i could really care less. Not much left on my large, sure the mini's will go soon as well.

Toss the starter cube. Gotta be the slowest way to light it. Hell, paper towels rolled up and soaked in veggie oil are quicker. Get yourself a weed burner or map torch.

I have a mini and its called Big. They all are called Big Green Egg.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• That I now spend several hours a day reading this forum
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited November 2012
    I'd say use more firestarters to suit your desired cooking temperature. I use 1 to 2 for low and slow, 2 to 3 for medium temperatures up about 400 and for anything above that I use 4 starters. I also close the lid sooner or later depending on the temperature I'm going to be shooting for. If It is a high-temperature cook I leave the lid open the entire time the firestarters are burning. For low and slow I'll close it up sooner. Also I don't put the daisywheel cap on until I've just about reached the temperature I'm shooting for. Many times for high-temperature cooks of 600 or 700 degrees I don't use the cap at all. I simply control the temperature with just the lower draft door. I find no matter what the temperature, I can get my Egg to the cooking temperature I want in 30 minutes or less. I don't consider that a long time. My gas grill took 15 to 20 minutes and my smoker 30 or 45 minutes depending on the weather. I look at it as part of the process and simply work it into my schedule. I usually have plenty of last-minute things to finish up while the Egg is getting to temperature.

The color doesn't bother me and it certainly isn't boring. And the shape is what gives the Egg some of it's great cooking properties so the shape comes as part of the package.

As for dislikes: I agree with the comments that the Egg should come with a High Que fire grate. I also think it's ridiculous to ship a grill that can go up to 700 degrees with a gasket that seems to be good for only half of that. Granted they've now supposedly fixed that, but only time will tell how their new high-temperature gaskets will hold up. I do somewhat miss rotisserie grilling, but I am able to do things in other ways on the Egg with equal or better results. I also don't like the fact that your first Egg is like a gateway drug leaving you wanting more and more.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Install a worthy gasket.  My Egg was $800 + and it came with a $0.25 gasket.  WTF?

Simple ingredients, amazing results!

• Install a worthy gasket.  My Egg was $800 + and it came with a $0.25 gasket.  WTF?
    The new ones come with a nomex.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Ash removal as mentioned above.

Portability as mentioned above.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• When I took the XL to tailgate for a lions game, the next day I had a bruise on my bicep that was from my elbow to my armpit. Nasty bruise, but it was worth it lol.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @Smokin_Trout...there's a standing rule in the mancave, you touch the egg....you get pimp slapped.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Would like a little more room for large cooks and would like it to be a little more portable. Wouldnt trade it for anything though.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I love the egg, but there are definitely some areas for improvement. 

1) The stock handles aren't great.  They weather quickly and use cheap nuts/bolts that don't stay on.  
    2) I think it should come standard with an "adjustable rig" type setup for multiple levels of cooking, raised direct, indirect,etc.  Perhaps this is asking too much...but after dropping a grand or so on an egg you shouldn't have to spend another 300 on accessories. 
    3) Method of attaching the dome sucks.  They need to design something better than the bendy bolts.  Like smokin trout said- the lid also slams shut.  
    4) High-q charcoal grate standard.
    5) Better gasket (fixed?)
    6) Better draft door.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    henapple said:
    @Smokin_Trout...there's a standing rule in the mancave, you touch the egg....you get pimp slapped.

To paraphrase a line from a great movie..."Touch my egg...I'll kill ya." 

name that movie...

Signal Mountain, TN
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    lack of a beer opener
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    edited November 2012
    you would think that a company that manufactures in mexico would be able to find a casting house to have made a green egged shaped bottle opener by now, i mean, who wouldnt want 1 or 3, or more
    ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I hate that they are not two for one.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.