Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza help

Can you do a pizza indirect...on a stone, raised grid and the PS? The last two I've burnt the crust. Medium thickness at 500...only taking around 7 min...
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited November 2012
    That is exactly how I do mine. PS legs up, grid, stone. The air gap helps with the excess heat transfer when you do PS legs down and stone directly on top. I found out the hard way as well.
  • Yes, getting the pie higher up in the dome is the idea here. The more toppings the longer it will take also. Thus getting the pie up in the dome will put it where there is more heat and the toppings get done along with the rest of it.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• That is exactly how I do mine. PS legs up, grid, stone. The air gap helps with the excess heat transfer when you do PS legs down and stone directly on top. I found out the hard way as well.

+1 on the set up

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Fire Bricks!!  Bought four for $7 at a local brick supply shop.  Rated at 3000 degrees.  Let them soak at 500 for 45 minutes and you are ready for consistent pizza cooks.  No black bottom pizza, unless you like your pie to taste like lump.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Last nights was still a little burnt. Using Publix dough...could that be contributing to my problem?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • That is exactly how I do mine. PS legs up, grid, stone. The air gap helps with the excess heat transfer when you do PS legs down and stone directly on top. I found out the hard way as well.
    +2
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
    + 3, that's how they taught us at the BGE class at my dealer
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Pizza is a combination of stone heat, dome temp, crust moisture and amount of topping to name a few. There are many variables and finding the combination that works for you might be a bit frustrating. 
    Generally, I use the PS legs down, stone on the setter, dome temp no more than 450. For my homemade crust and the sauce, cheese and meat we use, it works. I get a pan style crust and nicely browned topping in about 10 minutes.
    When the family is here and we make more than one pie, I change to a PS legs up, grid on setter and stone on grid or sometimes even raised above grid an inch or two (old fire brick pieces) and a dome temp of 500. Pies cook faster, maybe 7-8 minutes and the crust is more likely to overcook. I also often wipe the stone with a damp cloth to cool it between pies if the crust overcooks. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I got a pizza stone from DH for my birthday. We've done several "deep dish" pizzas now on the Egg.  Our method:

Platesetter feet down.

Spacers - made from the little BGE feet that came with the Egg.

Pizza stone on top of feet - so there's a circulation layer between the plate setter and the pizza stone.

We cook the pizza at 450 - the thick crust stuffed pizza does well at 450 for about 15 minutes.

We've had PERFECT results. Highly recommended. I think the important part is making sure that the stone isn't put directly on the plate setter.
  • Indirect i use two pizza stones to set up my direct. Get your pizza as high in the dome as possible. Make sure temp probe doesn't touch the pie
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx