Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tenderloin - what a mess...

Options
DonWW
DonWW Posts: 424
edited November 2012 in EggHead Forum
My wife and I watched this recipe on Triple D and thought it sounded great.  Well, the concept was good - the execution was pretty much just that: an execution.  The recipe calls for a pork butt (we used tenderloin), butterflied, rolled out and filled with a mixture of lemon/orange zest, EVOO, rosemary, sage, parsley, S&P.  Then, rolled up "sideways" for more girth.  The preparation had our expectations running high, 

Even upon completion, it looked great.  Cooked about 45 minutes at 330 direct.  Internal was about 150 when I pulled it.

If - and that's a big if - we do this again, we will reduce the zest by about 75%.  Very overpowering.   My wife had her head looking forward, but her eyes looking at me askance.  Guys, we have all seen the look - just not related to cooks on the egg. 

Revenge and redemption must be swift, compelling and without hesitation.  A 5lb pork shoulder will be ready about dinner time today.
XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.

Comments

• Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    Options
    Just looking at it, the zest looks overwhelming! How much did the recipe call for?
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    We did one similar, but used goat cheese, toasted pine nuts, sun dried tomatoes,dried apple and apricots, and basil, then wrapped it in bacon. It was an outstanding combination of flavors.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • JwgreDeux
    Options
    billyray said:
    We did one similar, but used goat cheese, toasted pine nuts, sun dried tomatoes,dried apple and apricots, and basil, then wrapped it in bacon. It was an outstanding combination of flavors.
    kick'em while he's down (sounds delicious though)
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Just a guess but if you had used a shoulder you would probably have cooked to 160+ to render some fat. That might have tempered the lemon zest a bit.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    edited November 2012
    Options

Grambler, I have seen DDD present ingredients and methods, but I never specific portions. They may have them elswhere on the website, but I have not looked. 

Steven, I thought of that.    But, with only two of us, opted for a single tenderloin instead.  BTW, even though I live in Dallas, I had my poppy on this weekend.

BillyRay - even though my wife looked at me sideways, we did talk about ways to improve on the recipe.  Bacon, pine nuts, and some fruit entered into the discussion. 

As an update, after 4 hours, my pork shoulder is rocking along at 140 internal, (220 grate).   

XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Don't let it get you down...it was a good experiment!  I think it looks quite nice!  I'll bet you can come up with a recipe that works for you with this method.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SamFerrise
    Options
    Keep it simple.  Salt, pepper and garlic.  You can't get any better than that.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • SamFerrise
    Options
    BTW, what were you guys smoking?

• Little Steven
    Options

Sam, Stuffed tenderloin can be a thing of beauty. Buddy did a recipe that should have been lean shoulder.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options

You can even do them Italian style

Procuitto and Calabrese salami
    Provolone, green onions and sliced garlic
    Sundried tomatoes, bomba
    Pile of Genoa salami
    All wrapped up
    Egged
    Very good

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    outstanding!
    Sam seems to be fixated on his own methods. Great cook from what I can see but horizons need to be broadened. Just sayin'

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• travisstrick
    Options
    Is that bamba as in, La bamba?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Travis, La bomba...the bomb. You and Nola e-mail me your addresses and I will send some. I sent a couple of cases to Mickey last year for Salado? I think

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Before ya mail la bomb...what kind of bomb exactly are we talking about?  I think customs might have a problem with dat.
    Man it's an italian antipasto spread. Funniest thing is that we have French labelling here so it translates to le Bombe. Think the pink panther here. Send me your mailing address, think you might like it. None for Cen-Tex though

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Options
    hell yeah, I love antipasto.  Central Grocery is one of my favorite stores in town.
    Man it's an italian antipasto spread. Funniest thing is that we have French labelling here so it translates to le Bombe. Think the pink panther here. Send me your mailing address, think you might like it. None for Cen-Tex though
    Yes, I have fallen victim to your taunting french labeling on a recent visit to Bellingham WA. I think my shower gel was trying to tell me something?????image
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I noticed a while ago my Gillette Hair & Body Wash says prominently in the front label "Nettoyage Complet Shampooing & Gel Douche"  I haven't pointed that out to Wilma as the laughter would make me ashamed I like the product.  Also she would point out that soon I won't have to worry about the "shampooing" part.  
    Flint, Michigan
  • SamFerrise
    Options
    I know you guys are smoking some good stuff now.  Do not confuse Antipasto with grilling.  You should be enjoying Antipasto while your Egg is cooking the main course.  Of course, that is my humble opinion.  It just seems like a waste of good deli meats.  Alora, buona fortuna!!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    shower gels, body washes, gel douche
    :-\"
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it