Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Hilarious NYT Review of Guy Fieri's New Times Square Restaurant

Spoiler Alert: Do not read if you love Guy Fieri and pin your hopes of happiness on his success in the restaurant biz. DO read if you love snark, insults, and general NYT snobbery as they savage poor Guy and his new crib. I laughed out loud at least 3X (Sorry Brownie, still love you man).

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    He's the most overexposed man on TV...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    It seemed like the enjoyed it, just had a good amount of follow-up questions.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited November 2012
    I think my favorite line is: why is the only thing on the menu you can order without fear or regret a lunch only sandwich?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That's beyond brutal.  Way, way beyond.  But that guy RULES the flame-shirt. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I enjoyed the Donkey Sauce quip myself. Some of the reviews are as funny as the article.
  • I enjoyed the Donkey Sauce quip myself. Some of the reviews are as funny as the article.

Had to go back and read that. Nice.
  • Any advertising is good advertising.  I couldn't find out how many stars the reviewer gave. Anyone?
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • Any advertising is good advertising.  I couldn't find out how many stars the reviewer gave. Anyone?

Zero.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I noticed that.  Stars, we ain't using no damn stars because the SCALE IS ZERO TO FIVE.
    This restaurant is located in tourist central, no matter what rating he gets they will either go here or Applebee's next door. People will flock to this pile of s...
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I heard about that review on the radio yesterday on the way in to work, but forgot to read it. So funny. Thanks for sharing it, I needed a laugh. Unfortunately, the restaurant will probably thrive with deluded star struck deluded fans flocking in. Very sad.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited November 2012
    All I can say is wow! Even allowing for the feeling I get that the reviewer has had a bone to pick with Guy Fieri for a long time and finally got his chance to do it, I still say this is the worst restaurant review I've ever seen. I was laughing at some of the analogies previously mentioned. One that tickled my funny bone in particular, was the one about having a long refrigerated tunnel that all the servers have to pass through to make sure your french fries arrived at the table cold. Classic!
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • IrishDevl

If I wear my sunglasses on the back on my head when eating do I get a discount?

• IrishDevl
    What if I bleached my hair?
  • IrishDevl said:
    What if I bleached my hair?
    What is all you say is "Full Throttle"!?

• Griffin
    Off the chain. Off the hook. Shut the front door.

Rowlett, Texas

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    edited November 2012
    Sounds like I am the minority here but can't say I'm a Guy Fieri hater. He can be somewhat annoying at times but I find DDD entertaining. I have been to a number of restaurants featured on there and they rarely disappoint. In addition, his show has given these restaurants an incredible amount of exposure and helped them to astronomically grow their small business. There is a guy on The Smoke Ring Forum from Minnesota that had Triple D visit his place and he benefited tremendously. What's wrong with that? So maybe he isn't the greatest restauranteur in the world? I have said many times that I would love to have his job to be paid basically to go all over the country and meet interesting people and eat. Doesn't sound like a bad gig.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • IrishDevl
    BuckeyeBob = Guy Fieri.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    edited November 2012

Yikes, you guys are harsh. Can't say I'm a big fan of Fieri (although we do watch DDD some). However, he has worked hard and become very successful. He clearly has a passion for his "brand" of food. Annoying or not, good for him.

I bet it is as good as any of the other crap in Times Square.

Tough crowd.

XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Actually I'm not a Guy Fieri hater either. He's gone to some of my favorite joints around here so I know he has good taste when it comes to comfort food. Also I do think that reviewer had his claws sharpened well in advance for that review. In some ways and at times I got the impression he was a food snob who resented Guy's success popularizing comfort food. I also wonder just how long that restaurant had been opened. If it was only a few days, you could write off some of the comments as new opening bumps in the road.

But all in all, even making some allowances that was the worst restaurant review I've ever read.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Griffin

I'd take Guy's job in a second. Not a bad way to make a living IMHO.

Last time I was in San Antonio, my friend took me to a place that DDD  had covered. he's good friends with the owner. The owner said Guy was a douche and that even though business picked up, he wish he had never done the show. Every time it re-runs, the locals and frequent patrons can't get in to eat and have to stay away for a week or two till it dies down.

Rowlett, Texas

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'm sure Guy is not managing the store so while he's responsible financially I'm not sure you can lay the whole fiasco at his flip flopped feet...omg,, put some shoes on. I don't mean this in a derogatory way but he's a clown, an entertainer. Just because I can paint doesn't mean I can run an art store. I watch ddd all the time but I also slow down and rubber neck at interstate wrecks.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    jfm0830 said:
    Actually I'm not a Guy Fieri hater either. He's gone to some of my favorite joints around here so I know he has good taste when it comes to comfort food. Also I do think that reviewer had his claws sharpened well in advance for that review. In some ways and at times I got the impression he was a food snob who resented Guy's success popularizing comfort food. I also wonder just how long that restaurant had been opened. If it was only a few days, you could write off some of the comments as new opening bumps in the road.

But all in all, even making some allowances that was the worst restaurant review I've ever read.
    You should check out some local reviews about Spike Mendelsohn's Good Stuff Eatery. Here is a general one. My favorite comment is where he is called a "douche canoe". Gotta love hipsters.
  • IrishDevl
    henapple said:
    I'm sure Guy is not managing the store so while he's responsible financially I'm not sure you can lay the whole fiasco at his flip flopped feet...omg,, put some shoes on. I don't mean this in a derogatory way but he's a clown, an entertainer. Just because I can paint doesn't mean I can run an art store. I watch ddd all the time but I also slow down and rubber neck at interstate wrecks.
    Anytime you put your name on something you should always make sure it is up to your expectations or you risk your reputation.  Happens to quite a few of these guys after they sellout - Emeril selling his brand to any kitchen product maker that would use his name; Gordon Ramsey and his failed empire of restaurants etc...  I am always impressed with chefs like Morimoto who will put their name on a restaurant and partner, but must have last say in all details.  This is why guys like him thrive both reputationally and still produce great food, IMHO.
  • Eggcelsior
    IrishDevl said:
    I like the pissing contest that ensued.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl said:
    I like the pissing contest that ensued.

I saw that, fantastic
  • Sounds like I am the minority here but can't say I'm a Guy Fieri hater. He can be somewhat annoying at times but I find DDD entertaining. I have been to a number of restaurants featured on there and they rarely disappoint. In addition, his show has given these restaurants an incredible amount of exposure and helped them to astronomically grow their small business. There is a guy on The Smoke Ring Forum from Minnesota that had Triple D visit his place and he benefited tremendously. What's wrong with that? So maybe he isn't the greatest restauranteur in the world? I have said many times that I would love to have his job to be paid basically to go all over the country and meet interesting people and eat. Doesn't sound like a bad gig.
    Agreed with all but if you are going to make that your public persona, you are going to get the grief that comes with it. If Guy is smart (and I'm sure he is) he could care less as he counts his millions (see: Larry The Cable Guy).

The issue with him as a restaurateur is that he is not, nor has he ever been a chef or a food person at all.  He won a reality show to host DDD and Food Network has pimped him out as a food guy to do cooking shows and open restaurants. His restaurants are legendarily horrible and schlocky- but financially successful. 

I have nothing against the guy, but when you are famous and open horrible restaurants based solely on your public persona, you are going to get killed.