Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey brining question

Options

I will be doing a 12lb spatchcocked turkey next week for the big day.  I was all set on my brining recipe, injection and rub. . .  until my wife informed me that our bird is one of those "moisture enhanced" "8% solution" birds.  I don't have much faith in these 'enhancements,' as I have eaten dry, unbrined 'enhanced' birds before.  While I have read some comments that say that brining can't hurt an enhanced bird as osmosis will keep the bird balanced, others, such as the knowledgable folks at amazingribs.com, warn of salty disasters if you brine an 'enhanced' bird.

Thoughts?  Should I just skip with the brining or go for it? 

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited November 2012
    Options

Yes. Skip it....... 12 lb spatchcock at 400 direct/raised will not need it in the hour and a half cook.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    If you do brine it, make a 1/2 strength solution and you should be okay with the saltiness question. I did a 15% enhanced breast yesterday with a 1/2 strength solution and is very moist and not salty.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.