Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pre Brine Question

Options
I was looking at the label on the turkey breast I am doing for thanksgiving. I could not find where it indicated whether it was brined or not. It did say, however, something about a 15% solution. What am I looking for on this label? Dont want to brine it if it is already brined. Thanks.

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    I've been researching the same thing. I believe if it says 15%, then it has already been brined. In found some butterball turkeys yesterday that say natural and nothing added. That is the bird I'm going for next week and I will brine.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    When in doubt ask the butcher.  If the butcher is no help, get a Butterball toss the gravy packet and pop up timer in the trash. 

I have never had a Butterball fail me and after i add compound butter and herbs it is good eats.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    You probably won't see the word brined on the label, what you'll see are the words solution or enhanced and a percentage of solution. Multiply the weight of the bird by the % and multiply that by the price per pound. Thats what you are paying for the brining solution.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.