Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Woo, Spider, Swing Rack...?

Options
Hoping to get an honest, unbiased opinion here.

I'm torn between getting one of the above mentioned products. I have no clue which one to get, and I'd hate to get one only to find out I should have got the other based on what I usually use my Large Egg for. So, here are the details and maybe someone can help me out.

I typically only smoke (ribs, pork, brisket, etc.). I have a plate setter. As of now, I'm not big into grilling, but over time I may dip into that. The reason I want one of these items is to increase capacity to smoke more - I can only smoke so much at one time, and it seems like each of these make life a little easier in that regard. I've done a fair amount of research, nothing too extensive, but any help that is offered would be appreciated. Money isn't a huge hurdle, but I'd like to keep that into consideration. My wife's Christmas gift is at stake!

Comments

• brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    Options
    for mainly smoking, the adjustable rig with extra shelf and oval plate is the way to go in my opinion.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I was sure I was going to ask Santa for a Swing Rack from Ceramic Grill Works a month or two ago.  Then I started thinking about its function versus the Adjustable Rig/Spider or Woo products from Ceramic Grill Store.  Both product lines have an impeccable reputation for quality.  I've decided on the Adjustable Rig/Spider set up because it provides extra grid space and I can go raised grid direct or indirect, low sear and I can even wok once I buy one.  (If it doesn't fit down the chimney, I'll get one shortly after Christmas).  The wok is what really appealed to me.  It has more capability than the Swing Rack.  Nothing against the Swing Rack.  I really like their design and everyone says they're built like tanks.  I suspect that I will have one in my arsenal in the future as well.  Necessity?  No.  It pleases me. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    Options
    I cant speak to the Swing rack or Woo. I do have the Spider & the Adjustable rig which imo is more versatile than the Woo. I had the same issue as you. Wanted to increase capacity. Any raised grid setup will give you more room for butts. I've routinely do 4 butts at once on the rig. I could do more but havent really had the need. I think I could do 6 pretty easily maybe more. You won't be able to use the platesetter with The Rig. Thats where the crossbars and Spider comes into play. The BGE pizza stone fits perfectly in the spider to go indirect. Also CGS has some nice oval shaped stones to use on the crossbars. What I like most about the rig is being able to move it up and down to different levels and the ability to add another raised setup on top of it. This is where ribs come in to play for me which is my favorite cook. I traditionally always used a rib rack but found when it came time to sauce I hated the vertical setup. With The Rig you can easily do 6 racks of spares FLAT. Also with The rig being its own platform you can take it out of the egg while cooking to change the setup, rotate racks (important for ribs) and keep the dome shut so your fire doesnt run away. 

Again I haven't used the Swing Rack. It looks interesting but I'm not sure it is as flexible in terms of setup. Seems more just to increase cooking space. Others can probably speak better to it.

Hope this helps.

• FriscoFrog
    Options
    +1 For Adjustable Rig.  Get the rig extender as well (although its not available due to a redesign until some time in December according to the CGS site), and an oval stone.  You can do 6 racks of ribs laid flat on the 3 racks.