Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Controller question

Options
I have been thinking about getting one of the controllers.  Again, I see that many of you have them and love them.  In looking at the bbqguru controllers, it looks like the Party Q is the basic control the fire only.  The Nano Q is similar to the Party Q but does not have a display.  Then, the CyberQ wifi adds three food probes, controls the fire (of course) and lets you control by cell phone, computer, or tablet.  The Digi Q looks like the Cyber Q but without the wifi and with only one food probe.  Do I have this right?  Other than the wifi, which would be awesome, if I have the wireless Maverick, wouldn't the Party Q or the Nano Q do enough?  What do y'all have and what led you to that model?
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• thailandjohn
    Options
    I have the Stoker and love it......without the Stoker and the Egg, I would not be doing my long slow cooks.....I just posted a picture of the 22 1/2 lb Shoulder I wil be putting on my XL Egg tomorrow morning for a 24 hour cook......I leave and can check the temps and change the pit temp if needed, all from my iPhone
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Anything longer than 5 hours, I use the DigiQ.  It does a couple of things very well - makes your egg temp immune to wind, and keeps the fire from going out if you're cooking at very low temps (or you've been lazy about cleaning ash).  You really don't have to worry about sorting lump - it'll blast enough air in there to keep anything lit - if there's enough fuel.

I mildly regret not spending the extra money for the wifi, but in all honesty, if your plans don't change, you can predict the completion time with a fixed temp and food weight.

Controller question--I thought you had an accounting question.  Ha Ha.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Philicious
    Options
    NOLA - so the budget way out is the Party Q or Nano Q with my Maverick remote for the food probe?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    That'll work as well as the most expensive wifi controllers.  Specially if you already have a Maverick (alarms).
    Options
    I have auber and live it. Simple, but I don't need WiFi etc, check naked whiz' he has a side by side comparison chart.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I have an auber too, haven't used it yet.  Simple - I like the design/price.  I'm going to put it on my dedicated cold smoker.

I use a PartyQ.  It does a very nice job.  I use it for overnighters.  You will be eating batteries though.  I usually make sure it has a fresh set before I go to bed.  As long as the batteries are good and the daisy wheel is not opened too much this baby will hum.  Sometimes I think it would be nice to have the DigiQ, but then I like the convenience of not having to worry about pulling out the extension cord and worrying about tripping over it or it getting in the way if I decide to move the Egg under the porch cover...etc,etc.

I also have the Maverick and that coupled with the PartyQ serves me well!  Just this weekend I cooked an 8lb pork butt at 225 over nearly 15 hours with fresh batteries.  I did not lift the dome until temp got to 200.  Worked great!

• Philicious
    Options
    Thanks guys. Those with the PartyQ, any problem in the rain?
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

There's also the Auber Instruments and the IQue110 (just throwing some others out there that you didn't mention.) I have the Auber, simple and it works.

Check out this page by the Naked Whiz to see his reviews.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• BobsBGE
    Options
    I have been using my Party Q on a medium egg and was worried about rain so I cut out the side of a cheap plastic paint container.  It seemed to keep the Q dry.  I just upgraded to an XL and hope I can just keep using the Party Q instead of a more expensive fix.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • BuckeyeBob
    Options
    Have the DigiQ and works great. I use on anything I am cooking more than 3 hours.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    Options
    I too have an Auber that has not been used yet.  Reading the instructions does not make it appear easy to use.  I will know when I actually try it.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • wallyjar
    wallyjar Posts: 123
    Options
    I have been using Auber for about a year.  Works great.  I just added a medium to go with my large and am looking at Digi Q or Stoker so i can control both with one controller.  

Wife thinks another Auber would work fine and cost much less!!!  Yes, but then cannot check things out with laptop or cellphone! 
  • thailandjohn
    Options
    For the long cooks it is real nice using the Stoker and being able to leave and check on the cook remotely
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    For the long cooks it is real nice using the Stoker and being able to leave and check on the cook remotely

+1. I also have the Stoker. 1/4 of all my cooks are low and slow. Very nice to watch the temps from any internet/ phone and if you need to change the temps to slow down or speed up the finish, it's just a click away.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Philicious
    Options
    Anyone use the Nano?