Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket

Options
So I did my first brisket this weekend and wanted a little perspective on things I could have done better. So here is my set up.

1. 16.5LB packer brisket (grain fed)
2. Trimmed fat to 1/4" +/-
3. Still cold when put on the egg
4. Stablized egg at 300 for an hour
5. seasoned with salt and pepper.
6. Put on egg and it stabalized at 290 for 10 hours, used 4 chunks of cherry wood.
7. Temp dropped to about 250, then kept on dropping.
8. Pulled egg at about 185 or so and wrapped in foil and put in the oven to finish at 350.
9. Pulled at "buttery" stage (195-205)

The point was moist and tasty (though I realized the knife I was using sucked and was tearing the meat instead of cutting it).
The flat was way over done, not burnt, but definitely over cooked.
Tried to make burnt ends, but like I said above my knife sucked so it turned into pulled brisket burnt ends instead of chunks.
Not a real smokey taste even though I thought I smoked it decently.

Overall my wife and mother-in-law, and two kiddos loved it. The point I was proud of, the flat will be for things like chili this week.

Thoughts?

Comments

• JwgreDeux
    Options
    Pics? 

I did my first brisket over the weekend and did it as follows:

275 indirect, injected with beef broth and rubbed with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder after coating it with oil.  Wrapped and let sit overnight with rub.  Also put on while still cold, took three hours to get to 150 internal temp at which point I foiled it with a little beef broth.  Back on (not in the oven) temp still at 275, until internal of 203 in the flat and 201 in the point.

My knife also sucked but sliced well and was delicious.  I didn't attempt burnt ends on this cook.  Here is how mine ended up.