Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Table

Options
Chief
Chief Posts: 154
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My cabinet maker has asked me what type of wood I should make my BGE table out of. Any suggestions??? My thoughts are cedar or cypress..

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Chief, Both are excellent.

• Unknown
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Hey ole buddy....so it really doesn't matter. I guess then I will leave it up to the cabinet maker.

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Chierf, Both are great all weather woods untreated.

• Unknown
    Options
    Chierf, BTW...if find the cedar resists oil and grease and cleans up nicely with soap and water. If you inset the finish nails or screws you can sand the top to renew it. Otherwise cover with Corian or Copper metal. SSteel will work fine too.
    I am toying with covering mine with a new top and copper. But I have a even better future thing coming up..This one incorporates a large umbrella stand...:-)
    C~W[p]

• Chief
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    I decided to only make the table 36" vs 52" Plus some type of wheel mechanism...any ideas

• Unknown
    Options
    Chief, I'm a wood butcher at heart so I know more about it than BGE cooking - BUT I'M ALEARNIN - cedar is pretty, but way too soft IMHO. In your climate cypress would be better, but unless you plan to eat directly off the table without plates why avoid treated wood? (Ha ha that's a concern for some people.) Rot and bacteria have more chance in the natural wood. If it's the green color cast you don't like then use the alternative "brown" treated wood and further seal it with the same color Olympia stain...comes out sharp! It's sorta like what old Snodgrass says about planting things in your yard...don't put a $100 plant in a 50 cent hole...you bought a BGE so.... ^oo^~
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Chief, I drilled for size a steel rod hole (be precise on the drilling with a template) on one end for 8 inch steel and rubber wheels. On the other end, I shortened the legs to accomodate the swivel castors that I bought. If you use 2x4 legs..then reinforce the bottom with another short 2x4 screwed and glued to fit the castor flat portions.
    Hope this helps...BTW..I also made slider handles to move in and out and these really help back stress in moving. No way would I do without them.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    one feral kat, I used SS bolts to assemble the cedar in the main corners! Problem I have seen with green wood is quality. And it tends to warp unless held down firmly in place. Decking, etc.
    Also...if cutting or processing food, (rare I know) on it I think there are several warnings concerning it safety in food areas..Its fine if you wish to use another product for the top area. Corian is the top puppy there.
    Cherrio..another wood chopper!! C~W

• Unknown
    Options
    Char-Woody, I agree with you about the green, but the brown is a better grade of wood and that's part of the reason it costs about 50% more. As for selection we have a large Menards here so I just moved through their inventory like a beaver at the lake...I only took the perfect pieces...you know the good trees that grow in front of a cabin - those are the ones that the beaver goes for first! I just hope that Chief and his carpenter realize that the key is to make humpty's throne sturdy. ^oo^~

• Char-Woody
    Options
    one feral kat, I know where your dealing...I sorted thru Menards cedar for a cupola I am building..and left behind twists and knots for those into basket weaving..:-)
    Your advise is sound..!!
    Cheers..C~W
    BTW..if you want some fun and a exercise in angles and degree's..try a cupola...oooooooh! Fun City..from scratch and no plans. Copper roof and a weather vane!!
    Next comes my super duper Egg"0"Rama...!! [p]

• Chief
    Options
    one feral kat,
    Again, another profound recommendation that is most acceptable.

• Chief
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Got it. I printed that info to give to my cabinet maker.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    minicorian.jpg
    <p />Chief,
    I have used Corian for 2 of my eggs and love it, like the eggs it will last a life time.
    YB

[ul][li]Corian shelves[/ul]