Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions for smoking ABTs and wings at the same time

Options
I'm a recent BGE owner but have already blown through plenty of lump in the last couple of months. We are having a party with some neighbors to watch my Bucs beat the Panthers in a couple of weeks. I was planning to smoke some ABTs and wings for the game. I usually smoke wings indirect but have never done any ABTs. Any suggestions on the best way to prepare both at the same time to have them complete roughly at the same time?

I have really appreciated all the posts on the board so far! It's amazing the knowledge that is shared on this board on a daily basis!

Comments

• SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    What size egg? Do you have double grates?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • diverstephen
    Options

I trust any advice from a Dawgs fan! My wife is a UGA grad and we're big fans.

I have a large egg and the grate extender made by BGE.

• SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    Depending on how many people you may need to consider cooking the wings ahead of time and cook the ABT's on Sunday, just reheat the wings. I've cooked them both indirect together but just enough on the large for 2 of us. They do take about the same time. I'd do the wings on the main grate and the ABT's on the extender unless you don't want bacon dripping on your chicken (why you wouldn't is beyond me)
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I agree with SmokinDAWG...both will do well indirect and will take about the same amount of time/temp, so it's just a matter of how many you want to make and if you can fit them on the two levels.  If you are having the get together at your house you could always just cook them in a couple of shifts.  I would go about 350 and expect 45 min to an hour.  One factor on the ABTs is how thick the bacon is.  Thicker bacon = more time to get crispy.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I always cook abts at 400; I bake Bacon at that temp by itself too. Cuts cooking time down some too.