Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Faux Cochon De Lait

My wife picked up a couple of pork butts last week and we decided to do "anything but" pulled pork.  Don't get me wrong, we love pulled pork but make it all the time.  So I cut the butts into two boneless shoulder roasts, 3+ lbs of cubed meat maybe for chile verde, and pieces for curing/smoking my own tasso.

Here is what I made with the first roast.  It isn't authentic cochon de lait by any means but it is excellent.  The roast is tender, spicy, and juicy and that creamy sauce is amazing in texture and flavor. 

Seasoned the tied roast heavily with a Cajun rub.

Put my Dutch oven (#12 Lodge) in my wife's Egg (mine was busy smoking the tasso) over direct heat at 375-400f and seared it on all sides.

Then I added 5 cups of milk and cream, 4 cloves garlic, bay leave, and thyme.

Dropped the Egg temp to 300f, got the milk to simmer, covered it and let it cook for about 2 1/2 hours, flipping every 30 minutes.

Took the roast out and kept warm.  Simmered the sauce down about 20 minutes and then strained it.  I shredded the meat and ladled some of the sauce over it.

Man, this was some good stuff.  The leftovers were great on on an open faced sandwich.  I'm just sad it's all gone! 
Knoxville, TN
Nibble Me This

Comments