Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Practicing for Thanksgiving

Options

I tried my first turkey on the Egg today and it came out pretty well.  I selected a small bird, about 12 1/2 pounds and brined it for 24 hours.  I used a brine of 1 cup kosher salt, a huge can of chicken broth, a little apple cider, (no parsley but) sage, rosemary, and thyme.  I put a few chunks of apple wood in the lump.  It cooked faster than I expected.  I kept the dome temp below 350 and it took about 2 hours for the temp in the breast to reach 160.

I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to cooking on the Egg, but everything comes out fabulous.   

Comments

• wilsonhp
    Options
    Did exactly the same thing myself today, but with just a turkey breast.  Plate setter legs up, with foil pan on small spacers, and the V rack directly in the foil pan.

About 2.5 hours at ~300degF to an IT of 160..  Then foiled and rested.  Same golden brown color to it.

Turkey came "with up to 8% of a solution" already in it, which is the same a brining the bird.

Turned out perfectly moist, with an exceptionally clean flavor.  Yes, actual flavor in unseasoned turkey.  Must have been the cherry wood smoke.

No seasoning at all on the bird.  Turned out wonderful.  The dogs, the wife, and I enjoyed it immensely.

:))
    --wilsonhp
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

great looking bird - love that even brown colour and crispy skin look

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It appears to me you know exactly what you are doing!  The bird looks great.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cb1449
    Options
    We are newbees also to the green egg cooking.  Your picture looked wonderful and so delicious. Did you set the foil pan on a plate setter?  Anyother tips would be helpful.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    CB, as  long as you cook to TEMP and not TIME, you really cannot go wrong on the egg. With a bird, you can inject it with your favorite solution, brine, or do nothing and it will always be great with or without seasoning. Just create some kind of an air gap between the drip pan and plate setter (or whatever indirect setup you have) to help prevent the dripping from getting burnt and adding that flavor to your cook.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    beautiful bird...congrats on yur cook

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC