Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat Slicer...why did I wait so long?

Really happy with the electric slicer I purchased a month ago, tonight we're slicing up left over rib roast for great french dip sandwiches.

Nice cooking toy to have around.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

Comments

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    specs please - type, size, watts, or hp.  how easy is it to clean

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2012
    Very nice.  Combing Craigslist for a couple of years in search of a Globe, Berkel, Hobart, Chefmate.  Haven't found one yet in my price range.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Boy is that nicer looking than the relic I've been using.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    BigWader said:
    ...how easy is it to clean
    I've been very curious about this too on a meat slicer.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• With deference to the OP and his nice looking slicer, my Revel is easy to take apart and clean.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    My first job was at a deli washing dishes when I was 16, meat slicers like the one picture disassemble to several pieces and are relatively easy to clean. 
  • $389 on Ebay from China. I've been looking for quite a while.  We cook lunches for classes here at the shop, so we will use maybe 5/6 times a year.   Cleaning is a matter of wiping down, taking about 10 minutes.   Probably not good enough for professional use though(?).

Link-http://www.ebay.com/itm/120986062568?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• I bought a $700 one 1.5 yrs ago. used 1x. for sale now $300...great gog but only hubby and me so really no use for it. I had visions of grandeur...wish I did have a use for it. I live in Rome, GA....

LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Great GIG****not gog...sorry
    Rome, GA
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited November 2012

I got an inexpensive one (around $100) for x-mas and it works great for the 2-4 times a year I use it.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• I was puzzled on just how much to spend on this type of kitchen item.   When we do use it, it will be for 20-25 servings so little more than simply personal use IMO.  Felt if I spent $100/150 it may crap out under such loads of work(?).  So jumped up in price to $350+ and hope it last for quite a while.  Meat slicers are expensive, can run $2/3k easy. 

Who knows, it may crap out tomorrow...but tonight I'm happy with it. LOL 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Krobertsmsn, is that slicer still for sale? If so, what make and model? Bob
  • Yes...I will post post info tonight. Also has spiral blade which I purchased extra $100 bucks if I recall correctly. Total package roughly $800. Commercial rig.
    Rome, GA
  • I was lucky enough to score one from my last employer.  It was just sitting around, so i asked, and he told me to take it.  It was labeled as "Intedge".  Made in Italy, 1/4 hp and it is very sturdy (10" blade).  The switch went out, and i found a replacement at Grainger for $36.00.  As near as i can tell mine is about 40 years old.  Had to completely disassemble it and free everything up.  It takes 10-15 minutes to clean.  Yesterday i sliced about 12 lbs of cheese with no problem.  You may want to check used restaurant supply places.

If it was not given to me, i probably would not have bought it, as my use for it is limited.  Hopefully with more egg cooks that will change!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"