Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sausage help please

Options
i've searched but haven't been able to find what am looking for . i'd like to try and make a breakfast sausage does anyone have a recipe for it that they be willing to share .
Thanks Phil 
Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    @Richard Thanks!!!!!!
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options
    Just to pipe in. I made polish sausage for the first time.
    I used a variation of my Dads (He worked in a small Polish meat market for over 50 years) and a few others I saw.
    The left over in the grinder  were fried up for a taste. Amazed myself! I hope he's proud of me.
    Will cold smoke it on Sunday. I'll report back.
    Have a great grillin' Saturday.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• GK59
    Options

Just had the finished product.

It tasted pretty good if I don't say myself. May tweak it a bit ,but overall real good.

Sorry, but forgot(on purpose) some pics. I didn't want to post any because I cold smoked them on my old gas smoker.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• bigphil
    Options
    GK59 said:

Just had the finished product.

It tasted pretty good if I don't say myself. May tweak it a bit ,but overall real good.

Sorry, but forgot(on purpose) some pics. I didn't want to post any because I cold smoked them on my old gas smoker.

could you share you recipe please ?
  • GK59
    Options

Her goes Big Phil. I'm writing this as for a 1st timer as I am or was. So don't be offended.

7# pork shoulder

6 cloves garlic presses

1-1/3 tsp pink cure salt-because it was going into REAL casings

1 tbls salt

1-1/2 tbls pepper

1-1/2 tbls majoram

1-1/2 tbls mustard seed- crushed

1 cup ice cold water.

Cut off the sinew as it stops the hand grinder. The grinder had small 3/16" ? holes in the die.I may get a 1/4 or 3/8"die .It didn't seem course enough . Mix in the seasonings.Fry up a small piece to check flavor.Add the water before stuffing. Mix in until all absorbed.

The casings I think were 3/4 to 1-1-1/8 " .Will get next size larger. Up to maybe a 1-!/2". After rinsing them I flushed water through them. Made it easer getting them on the stuffer snout. I also forgot to take the blade and die out when I started stuffing.  Could not get much in to the casing with them in.

I may adjust next time with 1 or 2 extra garlic cloves and more marjoram.

Used my gas smoker @ about 150* with hickory chips until sausage reached about 155-160*. About 2 hours or so. Warmed it up a bit more for supper with some kapusta(sauer kraut).

Good luck and let me know what you think.

Bill

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• bigphil
    Options
    @GK59 Thanks !!!!!!
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

@bigphil

Never made any of them - but just getting into sausage making - seems to be a good source of recipes here:

http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/sausage-recipes.html

they have 3 breakfast sausage recipes to choose from.  I also found this interesting and thought the country sausage was pretty breakfast like when I tried it.

http://www.lets-make-sausage.com/country-sausage.html

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• bigphil
    Options
    @BigWader Thank you 
  • tactical_66
    Options
    I just started making sausage a couple of months ago. I used one of Cabela's seasoning packs that someone had given me a while ago. It turned out well. The only thing I was short on was not enough fat in the meat so the sausage gets dry if you cook it a little long.