Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stainless Steel Bands

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok guys, I am writing this for my father. He is a big time BGE user.
Everything he cooks on it is just great. Here is the problem. He lives along the gulf coast. He keeps his egg in a carport. He also has an Egg cover. He also oils his bands several times a year.
The bands are still rusting. I guess its the salty air and humidity.[p]When will BGE offer Stainless Steel Bands? [p]Will someone from The BGE Company please respond?[p]How many on this forum would be interested in this. Please respond. [p]Over Thanksgiving, my father visited the BGE store in Atlanta. He asked about the SS bands. The guy at the store stated that BGE was
considering it. [p]Many of the BGE alternatives already offer this option. I believe they do this because it is a Very Good Idea. The fact that SS draft doors are available indicate BGE understands the need for this. I believe it would be a big seller, it would be cost effective for BGE, and it would be a great product improvement. [p]I know of three other BGE owners that have expressed this interest.
Two of those three do not live along the gulf coast.[p]In my opinion, the BGE is the ultimate cooking machine. This addition would make the BGE even more perfect.[p]Thanks in advance.
Sorry this is so long[p]Glenn T Mccarty.
Future BGE owner (within the next 6 weeks)

Comments

• Glenn T Mccarty, I'll take a set. I too live on the Gulf, or I should say 'in it'.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Glenn T Mccarty,[p]You present a well stated case. In defense of BGE (I have no affiliation with them, I just love the food it produces), it is a costly endeavor to engineer and then manufacture a new product offering. I hope they deem it feasible.[p]I look forward to hearing from you when you get an EGG of your own.[p]PS- No post on this forum is too long when it concerns the EGG.[p]Spin
  • Rex
    Rex Posts: 16
    King-O-Coals, What Gulf island do you live on? Or do you live on board a boat?[p]I live in Vancleave MS (around 15 miles from the coast) and am interested in the Stainless Steel options for the Egg too.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Spin, I agree with ya...(add another point :-)[p]Here is my thoughts on that also.

To make SS bands in a low volume production may be cost prohibitive to the buyers. If BGE were to make SSteel, then it might have to become a standard production item with all BGE's made with it. I would assume a cost rise in all BGE's if that were the case.[p]I would lean more at present with finding a salt resistant epoxy paint (if there is such a thing) and either the factory painting rust resistant metal parts for the salt environment owner, or making it available to the owners of BGE's in those area's.[p]Would I give $100.00 more for a fully equipped Stainless Steel BGE. Yup, BGE is worth owning at any price..:-)[p]Maybe others have ideas that will work also.
    Cheers..C~W

• Denevan
    Denevan Posts: 24
    I know this one is really old but I contacted the point of contacts from the company that makes the band and I was told "...research and develop guys that the stainless will expand too much. It can be made but would not hold up because of the expanding problem."  So maybe you are handy and can make your own - but with the cost of SS today and the fact that it may not last longer (maybe even sooner) than the reg band -- I say it is just not worth it. I am looking into powder coating...
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    What about powder coating the bands?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • My egg is a couple months old and the band is already fading. For the price the egg cost, they could either powder coat or use por15 or other good paint.