Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cleaning egg..

Options
Hello eggheads, what do you guys & gals use to clean the inner walls of the egg.
Thanks..

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Heat!  You can just load it up with lump, and let it burn for 45 minutes or an hour (or longer if you want it to look brand new).  Only warning is it will likely fry your gasket. 

When I feel my egg needs a cleaning, I just plan for a pizza night.  As long as your getting the egg hot, no need to waste a hot egg! 

I have heard some folks use balls of foil to scrub it if it's still not clean.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    smokey is right. Don't ever put chemicals in there. Just load it with lump, light it, open up the vents and take the top off and let er rip. People do use foil but I never do. Heat works wonders. It can fry your gasket (and will fry your gasket if you have the original). I switched to the nomex gasket last time it fried and have had much better luck with that.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Clean it? Why clean it? I never do, unless you mean when you get a build up on the dome. I've never done a clean burn in mine in over 2 years.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I am like Griffin only lazier. But it works.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• sirlancealot
    Options
    Well, I've had my lrg. For 2yrs. Gasket been fried and it still does the job
    But its the big cake buildup I have on the egg wall. I have done many high temp burns in two years for about 20min. But never for an hour, and the build up is still there.

Thanks...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I think burning hot longer - maybe 750F for an hour - will take care of the creosote and oil deposits.  You can throw in anything else that needs cleaning - the daisy wheel, any other grates you have, etc.  If you put in the plate setter, make sure you heat up and cool down with it in so it doesn't crack.
    Options
    Mickey said:

Naw ah, I'm lazier. :P

I've scraped mine with foil for heavy creosote but that's about it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
      Griffin said:
    Mickey said:

Naw ah, I'm lazier. :P

I've scraped mine with foil for heavy creosote but that's about it.

Who the hell wants to scrape one I-)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i will do a clean burn now and then but if i need to clean it i go to the cold egg with a balled up bunch of aluminum foil and scrub away. knocks off all the build up but it wont make it white again

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• sirlancealot
    Options
    Thanks Nola, will try that. Thx to all...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    no problem, let us know how it works out. 
    Options
    I find that even after I do a good long hot burn, I still need to do some scraping. I have often had a thin crust of charred crust left high in the dome. Nothing I want falling down into the food, but at that point, it is very easy to flake it off w. a spoon or putty knife.
  • bbrawler
    Options

A flexible plastic putty knife works well on a cold egg also, but its more work than a good long hot burn.