Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood or Stainless Steel table?

First off I wont be building either, (not handy enough, nor do I have the tools), but I do have the connections to get either done. I am a chef by trade and I love stainless. Wood is very classic, and warm feeling and cost effective compared to wood.

I have seen some very nice tables online featuring both. Google "Big Green Egg table" and go to images. Lots of great ideas to incorporate into one fantastic table.

What do you have? What are the pros and cons of what you have. Pics included with your setup would be appreciated. 

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I like the eggs in nests w/handlers (was going to order the second Large that way). This SS table from Sams works real well for me and will order a second one just to be able to move anything to anyway needed at the time. Just like the versatility (not sure i am close on that spelling).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Sorry, forgot the picture

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited October 2012
    If money is not an issue, and you have the connections, stainless is the answer. You can pressure wash it if you want to. It is the most practical, not the most beautiful, but certainly the most practical. 
    Wood is popular because many of "us" have the time, skill (at least in our own opinion) and tools to work with wood and we like the look of it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I wouldn't generalize that stainless costs more than wood, depends on the materials and construction.  To get a wood top that's almost as durable as stainless, you can encapsulate it with epoxy.  Takes a lot of work/time.

Both can be good choices - it's really a personal preference.

Here's my table - pecky cypress.

@nolaegghead, I think wood is the typical choice because it is "do-able" for many eggers. If you choose cocobolo or some other exotic you might have a $2000 table. On the other hand if you choose a high quality stainless, not the crud they are wrapping most appliances in these days, it could be a $2000. 
    The point is whatever works for you. Many eggers build their own, are proud of the result and it adds to the egging experience. As the ad says:
    Cost of BGE $1000
    Cost of table to hold BGE $2000
    Cost of cooking experience - priceless. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    As mentioned, they both have their advantages.  Few years back I covered my large wood table with ss diamond metal, like truck tool boxes.  This was a great solution until one morning I went to cook something and the sun was a reflective nightmare and the heat to touch was not pleasant either.  My table caught the morning sun.  Had to get rid of the ss because I start many cooks in the am.
  • RocEGG
    RocEGG Posts: 89
    I will agree with the hive mind here. I built a wood table out of nice hard heartwood spanish cedar. It is holding up well and I love it. But, I built it because I had the skills to build it...  If I had the metal working tools and experience, I probably would have made something that I wouldn't have to give a damn about. If it were SS I could set hot stuff down on it, leave it uncovered in the rain, snow, not worry about sparks, etc. Once I think about it, I do enjoy my wood table just fine and it does have that warm fine furniture feel which is nice.

Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I'm a stainless guy.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • BOWHUNR said:
    I'm a stainless guy.

Mike

I like your table best.  Stainless Rocks!  Have you posted a thread about it?
    Flint, Michigan
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I have an unfinished cedar and tile table. My next table will be SS ant then I won't have to buy another, ever.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited October 2012
    BOWHUNR said:
    I'm a stainless guy.

Mike

Now that is what Daddy's talking about!!!!

I always was leaning to the SS table for the reasons mentioned here. The buy it once and never have to do anything to it again is a nice feature as well.

• nolaegghead
    And for dinner tonight, we'll be having spatchcocked owl. :D
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited November 2012
  • here is my set up. Redwood and Cedar.
    Brandon, MS
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited November 2012
    Would butcher block be good for use as a table surface as well?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• @burhunr I saw a picture of your table few months ago and I saved it to my iPad. Every time I go to Lowes or check Craigslist I look for one like yours. I am immensely jealous as that is almost my ideal table set up.
    Boom
  • nolaegghead
    YEMTrey said:
    Would butcher block be good for use as a table surface as well?
    Yes.  I'm surprised I haven't seen any, but I've been thinking it would make a great top.

Grizzly sells maple butcher block tops.
    I used ipe and slate. Only have maybe $600, a weekend and a few beers. Ok, more than a few. Being around ss in the restaurant industry I like the warmth of wood and different textures. You could always do both. Wood framing or cabinets and ss top.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I made a custom stainless steel table for  my large egg and wouldn't do it any other way, if I were to do it again.

I used the cut out circle for the egg, as a pizza peel, too.

My cooking area is covered, so sunlight reflecting off of the surface is not a problem for me. I have seen hot dog carts etc, that worked like a mirror.

Oh, I should say, I did not use a stainless steel grid type of top, but rather heavy sheet metal like a resteraunt uses in their kitchen. I had a sheet metal place brake, and weld the corners up, then I made a mahogany base with more S.S. shelves underneath.

A little expensive, but will not weather like a wood one.

Just my .02

RicklesssssS in Oregon

•  I bought a stainless table at Sam's and made a table for my egg. Cheap and easy to do.

See my post  ( My stainless Table)

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    or you can do both steel and wood
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    I went with the Challenger cart and love it!
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    I'm a big fan of stainless steel. It cleans up nicely and it's sanitary. But.. if it's a hot summer day and your out in the sun, you pretty much have to wear sunglasses because your looking down at a giant mirror. Everything has its plusses and minuses.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I have the challenger for one of my XLs.  I love it.  The doors are weather proofed and hold a ton of eggcessories.  #Huns was having a problem with his back panel - not sure it is resolved yet.  I have had no issues with mine.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    edited December 2012
    I put in  a Challenger kitchen.  It gives me all of the storage space i need, and should be maintenance free.  Glen Borkholder at Challenger is awesome to work with.  Any problem or question i had were addressed immediately.  

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• I've had both, and won't go back to using a wood one.  I love the easy clean up of the stainless table top.