Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cured and Smoked Bacon question

Options
Fliehigh
Fliehigh Posts: 76
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

I have recently just finished my first batch of home made bacon.

My issue/question is that, I didn't soak it before smoking it so it is way too salty.

If I soak it now should I soak it sliced or in the chunks, also should I use hot or cold water?  I want to try and save the smoke flavor and I though the hot water would make it too bland.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Have never soaked after smoking.  Not sure what will happen.  Why not try a   small piece and test it. 
    You can always thick slice it as is  and use for beans or collards. Think of this batch as salt pork for different dishes.
  • SoCal_Griller
    SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
    edited October 2012
    Options
    In the book Charcuterie (Page 43 step 8), its suggested that if the bacon is to salty, then blanching the bacon in simmering water for 1 minute before cooking will reduce the salt content.  I was lucky enough on my one and only try and did not have this problem.  Let us know what you do, as I'm sure that one of these times i'll have the same problem.

Edited to add Page reference

Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Fliehigh
    Options

I will try the blanching tomorrow night (next planned "BACON" Meal) and let you know my results.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Did my first batch and its eadible but salty. A quick blanch and its just fine does not change anything but pull out salt. If you have a water machine with cold and hot water, I used the hot water and it pulled the salt just fine didn't need to boil anything. Next time I might soak it before smoking. 
    Pic of my bacon in this post, pretty happy with result.

Seattle, WA