Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DP Raging River Yardbird

cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
My father in law is staying the night to attend a business meeting tomorrow and he politely requested some BBQ.   :)  I was game, so I egged a bird, sautéed some parsnips/carrots/mushroom & reheated some leftover mashed potatoes.

Chicken was egged direct above the felt at 400.  Rubbed with lil bit of butter under the skin and seasoned with DP Raging River.  

I clearly need to work on my knife skills lol

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• Looks good to me Cazzy!  Between your brother-in-law the other day and your father-in-law today, you got the chuckwagon goin' for the in-laws and the out-laws!
    Flint, Michigan
  • cazzy
    Looks good to me Cazzy!  Between your brother-in-law the other day and your father-in-law today, you got the chuckwagon goin' for the in-laws and the out-laws!
    Yeah, my wife told her brother "we don't eat like this every day Matt".  He's definitely reaping the benefits. lol
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks good.  I reheated a spatchcock I cooked yesterday for dinner tonight.  Cut and steamed.  Was almost as tender as the day before.  (brined it)
    Great looking bird!  It has bikini tan lines. ;)  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cazzy

=))
  • Great looking bird!  It has bikini tan lines. ;)  
    I thought the exact same thing. Looks a wee bit naughty

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    I thought the exact same thing. Looks a wee bit naughty

My father in law asked me to send a pic to his wife.  She responded by saying "this is kind of a racy picture".  He told me, "text her and tell her Kirkby said that is his kind of bird".  lol

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Never tried raging river on chicken before. Now I'm gonna hafta.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Good looking bird man.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cazzy
    Griffin said:
    Never tried raging river on chicken before. Now I'm gonna hafta.
    It's very good griff!  That's honestly one of our favorite DP rubs.  
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Great looking bird Cazzy, and the veggies have a nice blend of texture and color. 
    You hit on the technique of a butter rub under the skin. Keeps the butter from burning, yet adds incredible flavor to the skin. Nice change from the EVOO standard.

Thanks for sharing..
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cazzy
    Mickey said:
    Good looking bird man.
    Thanks Mickey!  I need to start being more strategic with my temp probes though.  ie, temp check underneath the wing into the breast.  For the quarters, probe under the skin or something.  This should help the bird look more visually appealing.
  • cazzy
    edited October 2012
    Great looking bird Cazzy, and the veggies have a nice blend of texture and color. 
    You hit on the technique of a butter rub under the skin. Keeps the butter from burning, yet adds incredible flavor to the skin. Nice change from the EVOO standard.

Thanks for sharing..
    I think Austin Egghead gave me the idea as I recall her saying she did that in a post.  I'd do it again too.