Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hip-Shot Roulade

Options
Fred19Flintstone
Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

I call this Hip-Shot Roulade because when I went to the market for something to Egg, I had no idea what I would get so I shot from the hip!  I settled on a pork loin because I was reading recently (probably here) about a roulade and I wanted to do one.  I've never tried it before, but I decided to give it a go.  Problem: I'm in the middle of Kroger and have no idea what to buy so I was dreaming up ingredients as I went.  I ended up with green olives, roasted red peppers in a jar, bag of frozen spinach, feta cheese and shredded mozzarella.  I can't believe I forgot to buy onions!  Rounding out the ingredients back at the house were EVOO, Tone's Rosemary Garlic seasoning, onion powder and Grandpa Pig's "BAM!" spice (not commercial). 

I couldn't find butcher's twine at Kroger so I settled for metal skewers to "toothpick" it all together (it worked!).  I am not the most accomplished butcher, but I managed to butterfly the loin.  After that it was a matter of spreading the filling and rolling the thing up and toothpicking it.  I rolled it and Wilma stabbed it.  350 indirect until the IT was 140.  I think it took about an hour.  Rested for 15 minutes under foil and sliced.  It was flavorful and served with a salad, it was a nice supper.  Pork Roulade, Hip-Shot or otherwise will now grace our table pretty regularly.

Pictures to follow.  Sorry, no money shot with the salad because the natives were restless from hunger!

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looking good, Fred!
    Options
    That looks incredible.  Nice shot!  

I haven't been able to find butchers twine at the Kroger or Publix near me.  I googled the interweb and folks recommended ace hardware and get the 100% cotton twine.  I picked up some of this and it seems to work fine (hasn't melted yet!). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    That looks incredible.  Nice shot!  

I haven't been able to find butchers twine at the Kroger or Publix near me.  I googled the interweb and folks recommended ace hardware and get the 100% cotton twine.  I picked up some of this and it seems to work fine (hasn't melted yet!). 

Thanks!  I think I'll stop at ACE & pick some up.  While I'm there, I'll order some WGWW on the sly 'cause Wilma is not happy about the lump collection I got going.  "How much money do you have tied up in that pile?" That's the kind of chin music I'll get. 
    :-@
    Flint, Michigan
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited October 2012
    Options
    @fred19flintstone looks great, we've done that a few times never knew what it was called i just called it rolled pork loin Thanks!!! and butchers twine if you have wegmans near you they sell it and i think bad bath and beyond has it as well . but your idea looks way cooler 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Beautiful pork loin ya did there Fred.

You might  try Bed, Bath and Beyond for butcher twine as well or if you ask the butcher nicely at Korger, he might give you enough for that one cook. BTW, like Alton Brown said in his show, its always a good idea to get in good with your butcher. Talk to him a bit, share what you are planning on cooking, sometimes they'll hook you up on meats or hold something for you special if they know you are coming. Its worked for me in the past.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings