Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger and New to the Forum (9-Pics)

Hello - I've been reading the forum for a couple of weeks and wanted to join in on the fun.  I completed my set up a few days ago and since then I have done 3 smokes and 2 grills.  I've been smoking on a modified Brinkman for @ 3 years, so I am very impressed with the efficiency and ease of the large BGE. My smokes have been chicken, ribs and pork shoulder.  My grills were chops and burgers. I look forward to learning from you guys.  Here are several pics:

Comments

• Looking mighty good!
    Flint, Michigan
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    Looks like your off to a great start. Welcome aboard!
  • brewbq
    brewbq Posts: 52
    You look like you've got a good thing going, maybe I can learn from you!  :D
  • Thanks, guys.  The pork butt was my first time to try an overnight cook.  I've read about the stall on here beforhand, so I figured I had a good idea of what to expect.  I put the butt on at 8:00pm and checked it until @ midnight when I went to bed.  I only planned to get up once at 3:00am to check my Egg temp and butt temp.  At 3:00am my Egg temp was rockin at @ 265, which I was happy with and my butt temp was 157.  I got a little nervous without having overnight experience with the Egg and decided to open the vents slightly to offset any decrease in my fire.  I didn't check it again until @ 7:00am the next morning and my Egg temp had increased to @ 325 and my butt temp was 190.  It sped up my cooking time by @ 2 hours, but it still turned out great.  Now I know next time to just trust in the Egg and let it do it's thing. 

Thanks again for the kind words and I look forward to sharing many more pics and stories.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Great looking cooks! You're off and running and it proves the point made by several eggers.  You may be new to the egg, but if you know how to Q...you know how to Q.  Great work!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • welcome aboard. glad to have you
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Nice to have you aboard. Looks like you are off to a great start.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Looks great and you are on your way. If you we're used to cooking on e old Brinkman, then you must be in heaven with the Egg. Great job.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks like a great start, welcome and keep those pics coming!  =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • BuckeyeBob, you are spot on about being in Heaven with the Egg. I modified the Brinkmann where it had the same set up(vents at bottom and top with an oven gasket to seal the lid) as the Egg. Obviously, it wasn't any where near being as efficient as the Egg. I would always have to tinker with the vents to keep my temp consistent. I'm blaming the Brinkmann for making me adjust the vents on my overnight cook and allowing my temp to increase. Old habits are hard to break, especially bad ones. As I said in an earlier post, I will let the Egg do its thing from now on.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Looks like you're miles ahead...welcome.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Btw...nice table.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Thanks. I wish I could take credit for the build, but I I'm not much of a carpenter. I've been very impressed with some of the builds that I have seen in other posts. There is a lot of talent on this forum, with cooking and carpentry skills.
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Very nice indeed.  You have learned lesson #1.    If there are no pics, it didn't happen.

Welcome aboard!
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • cspearce2
    cspearce2 Posts: 107
    Welcome aboard. Nice looking cooks.
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
    Roll Tide!!!