Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Winter/Lump Options

I got my LBGE in August. I am just now out of the bag of lump that came with it. I stopped by Walmart to get some Royal Oak, as the Naked Whiz reviews are good and it seems to be a favorite on here. However, it is now "out of season." What are some of my options? The Cowboy lump at Lowes seems to have bad reviews. Next year I will know to stock up earlier, but I need something now.

Comments

• If you have an ACE Hardware nearby order some Weekend Warrior Wicked Good and have it delivered to the store (free shipping).
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    I have never had any trouble out of Cowboy.  It does burn faster, but the food tastes good with it.  Do you have an Academy Sports?  They have B&B which is what I usually use. Most other hardware stores probably have something too.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    I ordered from firecraft.com last week. Free shipping over $99. They have both Humphrey's and Ozark Oak. Tried the Ozark on an overnight Friday..seems pretty good.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Cowboy has changed over the last year, at least what is sold near me. It used to be hardwood scraps from furniture and flooring. Burnt hot, and quickly, but quite nice otherwise. They had a big fire at a warehouse. The newer stuff has lots of large tree chunks. That's usually good, but I've had a lot of sparking and flying ash from high temp cooks in the last 2 bags. Its useable for low temp cooks, up to 300, but I'm dubious about searing or baking w. it.

There are certainly lots of online options for ordering lump, if you don't mind the extra shipping expense.

Check any restaurant supply shops in your area. They may have lump. Also, I've found 2 butcher shops in my area that carry an unbranded lump that is pretty good.

In a pinch, you can use briquettes. Those produce so much ash that they will snuff themselves w. ash during a long lo-n-slo. Some "natural" briquettes will produce flying ash if the cornstarch binder is too old.
  • My choice is Ozark Oak. If you live in the surrounding states of Arkansas you can usually get a 10lb bag for about 5 or 6 bucks.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    I got my LBGE in August. I am just now out of the bag of lump that came with it. I stopped by Walmart to get some Royal Oak, as the Naked Whiz reviews are good and it seems to be a favorite on here. However, it is now "out of season." What are some of my options? The Cowboy lump at Lowes seems to have bad reviews. Next year I will know to stock up earlier, but I need something now.
    The new Cowboy lump -- the bag will be labeled "Now Burns Longer" (or something like that) -- reportedly is a lot different and has been getting good reviews...

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Any time you can buy anywhere but Walmart that's a most eggcelent thing.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Just bought the last seven bags of RO Red at our Wally World.  They have had a hard time getting the product this summer.  I am good for a while.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • gdenby said:
    There are certainly lots of online options for ordering lump, if you don't mind the extra shipping expense.

Check any restaurant supply shops in your area. They may have lump. Also, I've found 2 butcher shops in my area that carry an unbranded lump that is pretty good.

In a pinch, you can use briquettes. Those produce so much ash that they will snuff themselves w. ash during a long lo-n-slo. Some "natural" briquettes will produce flying ash if the cornstarch binder is too old.
    +1.  We have a local restaurant that cooks with lump and the restaurant supply in town is where they get it year round.  Now, so do I. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Just got the last 3 bags of RO red from Walmart in North Ga.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Thanks, guys. I will give the Cowboy a try and may also pick up a bag of the B&B at Academy. I may also see about going the Ace route. It was just frustrating that when I needed a bag, I knew I was going to the the RO at Walmart to try, but no luck. I used the end of my other bag, which turned out to be a disaster as all the little pieces plugged by air holes; it took me almost an hour to figure that out and get it up to temp to cook my steaks. Thanks for the quick responses. That gives me several options to try.
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    I can get 20 lb bags of cowboy, the new stuff, at meijer here for 8.89. Hard to beat, and I've had no probs.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle