Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raising plate setter

What have you all used to raise your plate setter? Any certain kind of brick? Need to get my pizza up higher in the dome so I don't burn the crust!!

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Buy the cheapest pizza stone you can find. Do ps legs up with the grate on top of the legs. Put ur cheap stone on the grate. I got a stone and peel for $16 and they work awesome.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    If you go for bricks, any kind will work.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I don't use a plate setter but like Travis said a pizza stone raised high. If high you don't need the platesetter.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• it's easier to raise your grid than to raise your platesetter. you can either get another grid and do platesetter legs up, grid/bricks/2nd grid or do legs down, bricks on platesetter grid on bricks. Clear as mud?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    +1 with Cen-Tex on raising the grid.  BTW- I " agreed" with his post and from what I can tell anything as a result of that exercise is in the "ether".
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tybish
    tybish Posts: 61
    Any certain bricks that should be used ? Thanks for the info I'm bound and determine to not burn my next pizza!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I do mine PS up with a raised grid on BGE stone.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • tybish said:
    Any certain bricks that should be used ? Thanks for the info I'm bound and determine to not burn my next pizza!

any bricks will work or you can use a rig like henapple or put some beer cans on the bottom or grid or......well you get the idea. There are as many ways to do as there are people on this forum. FWIW, I cook my pizza on a stone on the grid with platesetter legs up. My crust does not burn. you could just lower the temp a little and make it easy on yourself.
  • tybish
    I tried to cooking on a stone with ps feet up....crust always burned. I guess half the fun is experimenting!
  • tybish said:
    I tried to cooking on a stone with ps feet up....crust always burned. I guess half the fun is experimenting!

Yeah, but at what temp?
  • tybish
    Right around 500
  • tybish said:
    Right around 500

Ok- try to raise it then. I cook around 500 and have no issues. probably the difference in the crust we each use.
  • tybish
    I wonder what dimensions my bricks should be
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I put in a PS legs up, grid, and the Woo from my Small or my lump reducing ring from my XL on the grid to lift the pizza stone about 3-3.5" above the grid/felt line. A standard brick on its side should give you around 3 5/8" of lift which would be fine.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    R2Egg2Q said:
    I put in a PS legs up, grid, and the Woo from my Small or my lump reducing ring from my XL on the grid to lift the pizza stone about 3-3.5" above the grid/felt line. A standard brick on its side should give you around 3 5/8" of lift which would be fine.
    I've done both of these also.  If you do a lot of pizzas invest in a Woo, because it is simple for raising the pizza and has many other uses.