Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grillin' Produce Today

Options
We did the meatloaf yesterday. Stopped at the produce stand and bought $50 in produce. THAT is a lot of produce, and you really can't eat it faster than it will spoil. So today the plan is to grill a pile of veggies that we can enjoy during the day and the week. We have zucchini, squish, potatoes, many many different peppers, onions, corn, tomatoes, pineapple, apples, peaches, and ...... garlic! 

Plan is to run the LBGE up to about 300F dome raised direct and throw everybody on at various times this afternoon with a little brushed on EVOO, some S&P, and trying out some of the various rubs we've accumulated over the past few months while keeping an eye on the Dolphins - Jets game and getting out in the yard to enjoy the recent arrival of cooler weather.

Hope you're all enjoying your Egg as much as we are ours! 

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Interesting. Send pics
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Here's how it went. Grilled the pineapple, with Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head. It turns out like candy. I've read about it on here several times and this was first time trying it. It's a game changer.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Tomatoes, garlic, mushrooms, onions, and shallots. This stuff cooks up great, jazzes up the meatloaf we made Saturday and any sandwich for the rest of the week. 
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Squash, Zucchini and Apples. Again, the Pineapple Head makes the apple like candy. Nothing on the S and Z but S, P, & GP. Cooked enough for the week. It mike's up pretty good. 
  • SteveWPBFL
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Corn, apples, and peaches. The Pineapple Head on the apples and peaches is like cobbler without the carbs. Corn is good grilled with just EVOO, S& P.
  • SteveWPBFL
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Bell Peppers. I've got to learn how to skin 'em, have read about that on here, and they're my favorite.
  • SteveWPBFL
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I tried ABTs and learned you don't want to cook anything with bacon on it direct because you get the burned drippings smokey taste that you don't want, so next time those will be indirect. The filling was some whipped cream cheese with some of the meatloaf mixed in. Need a better filling. My attempt was a C- at them, but they are still delightful and they will be worth spending some time on.
  • SteveWPBFL
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Some of the ABTs were made with these awesome Poblano peppers. They would have been a failure if the ingredients weren't so good. Anybody do Chiles Rellenos on the BGE? 
  • SteveWPBFL
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Everything cooked well, not too fast not too slow between 300F and 350F raised direct. Did not use smoke, the food gets plenty of flavor from the lump. I favor 300F for this direct method. The idea was to practice on some sides since pork butts and ribs and the like get plenty of attention but then you need something to go with that's just as amazing. Veggies are a hit with the wife, the little guys sort of leave them alone but the big kids scarf them down, too. Only caveat is if you make a meal out of this stuff you feel a little slippery inside from the residual EVOO. So it's probably good to mix them in with other normal meal items to reduce that effect. They go good with the meatloaf we made Friday and will go well with a spatchcock chicken later this week. And don't forget the IPA!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks great - and veggies are good for you.  (takes away some of the guilt from normal egging)
    Options
    That is more fruits and veggies than my egg (or body) has seen in the past 3 years!  Looks great though- nice change of pace.  I am going to try a load of veggies to add to a sketty sauce on Wed.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    You're getting fancy on the grill arrangement....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN