Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First timer question

So got my new shiny Egg from Eggtoberfest and have only done a few cooks. The first, about 2 hours after i got the egg, was just a boneless skinless chicken breast with a rub from Dinosaur BBQ and finished w their BBQ sauce. I got the egg to temp, 375, and cooked till 155-160 internal temp. It was direct grill, have not have time to get the toys yet. My problem is that the chicken came out a bit tough, rubbery. It was not dry. Did I over cook it? I did a NY strip and rib eye the next night, each 1.5-2 inches thick. Cooked it according to a recipie found in the BGE cook book. Direct at 650, 3 min a side, shut it down, cook for 3 more min, rest for 5-10 min Added a couple chunks of musquet Cooked to mid rare and rested for at least 8 mins. Again a bit rubbery- though they seemed more tender after a few mins after the first bite Did I not let it rest long enough? Did more chicken the next night with a speedie marinade, again rubber using the same method as above. What am I doing wrong? The meats are from the same places I have always gotten meat and have not had this problem before. Any help would be grand, thanks
Atl, Lg Egg, TV Guy

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    i don't know an exact answer to your question but do you have a meat thermometer, and if so did you cook to temp prior to the egg?  the reason I ask is the first time i cooked a chicken breast to 160 for my wife she thought it had a funny texture, it was super juicy and i attributed it to us being used to over dry foods.  it really is a different world to cook to temp instead of the old standby "i think its done."  also on the steaks when "shutting it down" dont close the vents completely the soot has no where to go and your food will taste like and ashtray, most people will pull them off the grill, drop temp and the roast them until desired temp is reached.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Sounds like you cooked everything right, if you have an accurate meat thermometer like a Thermapen.  Not having all the details and assuming the cook temps and smoke and all that are within reasonable limits, I'd suspect the meat quality.  To reiterate, I can't say that (or anything) is the actual reason.
    edited October 2012
    I find for steaks of at least 1-1/2" thick, cook them indirect at as low as you can get the egg. Have some rub, whatever you like. Cook until internal temp is 115-120, then take it off and let it rest while you open the bottom vent fully and take the top off. Cook direct now. The egg will roar to life and then do your sear, Maybe 1 min a side. Meat is juicy and tender, a reverse sear - really works. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited October 2012
    Since you don't have any toys yet, I assume you are cooking at the regular grid level. 375 direct dome temp. with the grate at the regular level could be well over 400 at the grate. I always do chicken at 375-400, but on a raised grid. Pull breast between 160-165 and they have a good texture and are juicy. 
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I can't say that I've had very much "rubbery" meat. But my guess is that the meat is heating too fast, causing the muscle fibers to shrink, and expel water, but not stay hot long enough for the connective tissue to break down a lot. If you are cooking direct at the lower position, the meat certainly is getting a lot more heat than what the dome temp registers. Whenever I cook like that, I expect to flip the food at least every 10 minutes, and shift it around the grill to avoid hot spots.

2 suggestions.

Brine the chicken over nite. More water will be drawn into the flesh, and the meat will tenderize slightly.

Try "hot tubbing" the steaks. Season them as you like, sear them in a plastic bag w. as little air left inside as possible, and immerse in 130F water. Let them sit in the water for about 45 minutes. At that point, they will be cooked rare. Then sear them on the Egg for 30 seconds per 1/2 inch per side.
  • Skinless chicken breast are are tough cook and can loose what little moisture they have quickly.  I would suggest that you cook chicken breast on the bone for more flavor and protection from the direst heat.  Brining the breast will also help.  

As far as the beef pulling off at desired temp (i.e. 130) will yield about 5+ degrees higher after resting. Resting is important for the juices to be reabsorbed and the muscle fiber to relax.  As you noted the meat seemed "more tender after a couple of bites".
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Looty
    Looty Posts: 16
    What are these and what do they do?

Atl, Lg Egg, TV Guy
  • Looty
    Is this a concern?
    The Egg is band new, with 3 cooks.

Atl, Lg Egg, TV Guy
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Looty said:
    Is this a concern?
    The Egg is band new, with 3 cooks.

Yes - easy to fix, but talk to your dealer first. 
    Looty said:

I think the flat things with a half round end are to cover the finger slicing tabs on the lower vent. Not sure what the plumber's wrench is for or the "petite condom". 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Looty
    thanks for the help everyone

will make a visit to the dealer

Atl, Lg Egg, TV Guy
  • SigP
    SigP Posts: 25
    Looty said:

The wrench is to hold the large nuts on the casters as you tighten the top nut. The small rubbery things go over exposed bolts and the large ones go over the exposed top of the nest supports.
  • pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    375 is too low for chicken.  cook at 450-475 and you'll have much better results.  At 375 the chicken is drying out on the outside before the inside is done.

For steaks, I follow the Trex method and have great results every time. 
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    The flat rubber things go over the ends of the nest. BGE says they are REQUIRED to keep the egg from slipping out. And to keep it from getting scratched. I put mine in. They slipped around for a bit, but are firm now. I suggest you put them in.
    LBGE