Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

deep dish success

been reading about deep dish pizza and after seeing this thread decided to try it . Thanks @Zippylip

did 3 pies one pepperoni , sausage and chicken second one just pepperoni and third sausage . crust was crispy on all 3 nice change from thin crust . all done on the XLBGE about 550 dome temp PS legs done CI pan sitting on the green feet each took roughly 20/30 minutes 
Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Looks good Phil.  Nicely done crust.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Nice looking pies!

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited October 2012
    Nicely done Phil! It is good to know I will be able to do a bigger pie in my 12" CI skillet if I need more  than I get with my 8" ceramic pan. 

Impressive cook...nice looking bottom.  We had deep dish pizza from the new BGE dish and we both like it...Hope they will make a deep dish for the small or the mini.
    You might want to check some of the BGE dealers in your area. My dealer had two of these ceramic deep dish pizza pans around in September.  They make a 8 1/4" pizza and the pan is 9 1/2" in outside diameter and appear to be a BGE made. They are the same ceramic and are painted BGE green (the color in my picture is off). The dealer had them around for a long time and said they'd been discontinued for a while now. I would think they'd work great on the Small. My dealer was happy to move them and gave me a good price. It never hurts to ask.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    @Tjcoley thanks the CI pan works really well 

@SamFerriseAustin and @ jfm0830 Thanks 

@Austin you could always find a CI pan that fits the diameter and cut the handle down 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • bigphil said:
    @Austin you could always find a CI pan that fits the diameter and cut the handle down 
    I have used the CI griddle on both the small and the mini, it is more of a "fried bread bottom".  We both like that the taste of the baked crust a little more.  

@jfm0830 Thanks for the tip. Our BGE dealer here (BBQ Outfitters) sells lot of eggs and his inventory turns all the time.  I will start visiting other dealers when I am traveling....might get lucky.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768

Phil, looks real nice & the crust came out perfect.  Be careful as these things are addictive

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • bigphil
    Zippylip said:

Phil, looks real nice & the crust came out perfect.  Be careful as these things are addictive

so we found out my intent was to try only one and the others do as normal after the first bite it all changed and we made two more . What size is your CI pan the one i used was about 9-1/2 10 inches 
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    bigphil said:
    so we found out my intent was to try only one and the others do as normal after the first bite it all changed and we made two more . What size is your CI pan the one i used was about 9-1/2 10 inches 
    My pan is 10-1/2.  I've only ever done one of these at a time because I only have one pan & my second rise in the pan is usually at least 2 hours.  I'd like to get my hands on some of those pans they use at a place like Pizzaria Uno, then you can just stack them up & make as many as you want... how did you do mulitple pies?
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • bigphil
    all the dough was sitting out well before i lit the egg and we have two CI pans so while one was cooking we prepared the second one and debated long enough on the third one the first pan was cool enough to use again . plus sadly we used a store bought fresh dough so i believe that aided in the speed up process . 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Great looking pies @bigphil. You got me craving one now.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• bigphil
    Griffin said:
    Great looking pies @bigphil. You got me craving one now.
    very different in fact the family liked them so much i did 3 more last night . 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    @bigphil - the recipe he posted, was that for one pie or more?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• bigphil
    @Griffin i used store bought dough this time we tried walmarts dough seems they are good for two things royal oak and .88 cent dough lol (warning tho get in and get out or you die of laughter from the sights) . sauce was just a good quality can of crushed tomatoes then garlic, pizza seasoning liberally applied , then cheese and toppings layered. sometimes i'll take the time to simmer the crushed tomatoes and spices to thicken it up but not this time  
  • Awesome looking pies! Best I have seen so far!

Simple ingredients, amazing results!