Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcocking a turkey

gpsegg
gpsegg Posts: 427
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Need some help spatchcocking a turkey. We commonly do chickens but the breastbone is so much stronger. Any hints!
George
Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I use Poultry Shears or a sharp knife.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gpsegg
    Hi Mickey!  Before I go back to the spatchcocking, I want to tell you that we tried your coffee rub tonight on a minute steak roast and it was wonderful!  I used regular brown sugar, but I think it would have been easier to use turbinado because it's drier and would mix in more easily.  Tomorrow we're doing a spatchcocked turkey breast.  I was trying to break the breast bone and found it much more difficult than the chickens I do regularly.  I use Kuhn Rikon shears and they cut much easier than any other poultry shears I've used.  So......my question is really how to break that turkey breast bone without damaging the turkey meat.  Thank you.
    George
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    gpsegg said:
    Hi Mickey!  Before I go back to the spatchcocking, I want to tell you that we tried your coffee rub tonight on a minute steak roast and it was wonderful!  I used regular brown sugar, but I think it would have been easier to use turbinado because it's drier and would mix in more easily.  Tomorrow we're doing a spatchcocked turkey breast.  I was trying to break the breast bone and found it much more difficult than the chickens I do regularly.  I use Kuhn Rikon shears and they cut much easier than any other poultry shears I've used.  So......my question is really how to break that turkey breast bone without damaging the turkey meat.  Thank you.
    A sharp knife will cut through it like butter. If yours won't, I can suggest a few sharpeners. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    You just snip it and open by hand. Not sure that I understand as that is the easy part. Call me anytime Wed and we can talk to be sure I understand. 254.289.1877
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gpsegg
    Actually, this is Mrs. gpsegg, and I finally was able to snip it through.  I'll do better with the whole turkey at Thanksgiving.  Thank you all for the suggestions.
    George
  • Mickey
    edited October 2012
    We are talking a snip of about 1/2 inch; correct? At the cartilage?

• Mickey
    Glad you liked the rub. My wife will not let me do a steak w/o it.

• gpsegg
    Yes, at the cartilage.  The first 1/2 inch snip wasn't enough, and I wasn't sure how far I had to cut, just a little more and it worked. Thank you!
    George
  • Google it. There are videos on the subject, some not so good. I plan on using boneing shears and a boneing knife. Other knifes will used if needed....also I plan on making deep incisions on either side in the backbone before using the scissors. Mickey do you remove the breast plate and the wishbone or just do the "crunch" method to flatten
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • FWIW, I spatched a turkey last weekend for the first time.  I used poultry shears and then the crunch method to flatten.  It was a little more difficult than a chicken, but it wasn't too bad that I started looking for a cleaver or anything.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey
    Google it. There are videos on the subject, some not so good. I plan on using boneing shears and a boneing knife. Other knifes will used if needed....also I plan on making deep incisions on either side in the backbone before using the scissors. Mickey do you remove the breast plate and the wishbone or just do the "crunch" method to flatten

Lazy: "crunch method" works for me. Just a side note: I mostly add a package of turkey legs to the cook.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited October 2012
    Mickey...on the side note of Turkey legs...that's a great idea. Do you just cook the legs with the spatch'd turkey?   Maybe on a second level? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mickey
    Mickey...on the side note of Turkey legs...that's a great idea. Do you just cook the legs with the spatch'd turkey?   Maybe on a second level? 

Nope, just beside the bird. But, I cook a 12lb bird and have room beside it for the extra legs. If I need more turkey (this is a 90 min+/- cook) I just repeat cook.   Turkey legs are sooo good on the Egg anytime of the year (they will be ready before the turkey). Sometimes I like Butt Rub and sometimes Coffee Rub. One other side note: sometimes I will toss on a package of turkey necks with a good rub on them as they cook real fast (call them cooks food).....

• I need Mickey's coffee rub mix.
  • Mickey
    I need Mickey's coffee rub mix.
    Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)

Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee

Equal part: Brown Sugar

½ part: Black Pepper

½ part: Kosher Salt

½ part: Garlic Powder

¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder

Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Thanks Mickey!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Thank you Mickey!  Any recommendations on what I should put it on for a quick(er) lunch?
  • Mickey
    Thank you Mickey!  Any recommendations on what I should put it on for a quick(er) lunch?
    Not sure what you are asking?

• Don't have much time for lunch.  Maybe grill up some boneless thighs with this rub.  What would you serve it with?  Does it taste to much like coffee?  I like instant espresso in steak rubs for sure.
  • Mickey
    Don't have much time for lunch.  Maybe grill up some boneless thighs with this rub.  What would you serve it with?  Does it taste to much like coffee?  I like instant espresso in steak rubs for sure.

Zero on "taste like coffee".

Thighs and Legs both sound good and are quicker.

I would toss on some sliced pineapple, some sliced red onion and whold jalapenos that would cook quick and make a good lunch.