Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Even heat/ignition

Greeno55
Greeno55 Posts: 635
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hey Eggheads, looking for a little starting advice. Every time I grill, I try to ,are sure I'm working with a full fire box. I'm using the BGE electric starter and am finding it difficult to get even heat in my LBGE. Most of the high direct heat is concentrated in the centre. This makes if difficult for grill a few steaks or a dozen burgers or sausages. I've tried to move the starter around, but before long it's flaming pretty good and I don't want to melt the handle on the starter. Any advice?
LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Let the coals get good & hot with the electric starter. Then stir them around and let them get hot in other spots....or get a MAPP torch and light in several spots and be ready to go in half the time...
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    What he said.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hashmaker
    Hashmaker Posts: 149
    I use three oil soaked paper towels for a high heat cook. 12 o'clock, 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock. Once the lump is going, I kind of spread them around the dial and to the center. May be a little overkill but I get up to temp pretty quick. For an overnight cook, I just use one paper towel in the center of the lump. I've learned here its better for your fire to burn from top to bottom on long low temp cooks.
  • brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    I've started using something like a high-Q grate and just light a few pieces of newspaper inside the ash bin.  It starts fast,easy, and evenly.