Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

(Meat Glue) Prosciutto wrapped stuffed chicken thighs

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
OK- So McZippy got me all fired up to cook again (thank you) so I figured I would crawl out from under the mound of pizza boxes and fire up the egg again tonight. I was also inspired by many other forum members and I thought i would integrate some of that in this post as well. Thanks to all!!!!!!

OK- So i had some meat glue laying around (I know, we all do but stick with me) and thought I would glue some meats together. 

I did some chicken thighs stuffed with razor thin Honey Crisp Apple slices and stinky Brie. I wrapped them with super thin slices of 3rd rate Safeway (Randall's) Prosciutto (I was too lazy {drunk} to drive 10 minutes to the "good store"). You could hardly tell I totally sold out and used crap ingredients when it was all done.

I did the fast set method for the meat glue which is 10-20 minutes in a 120 degree warmer. You can set it in the fridge too but it takes 4-5 hours.

once the meat glue set, I grilled them direct around 350 over 1 chunk of Apple and 1 of Cherry for...........(again,  drunk, so insert your own time here) until they were done.

TFJ, being sober, put together a wonderful sweet potato galette and arugula salad. 

The galette :

Preheat oven to 450- with the oven rack placed at the lowest position

2.5 lbs of sweet potatoes (Peeled) slice 1/8" or less. We have a mandolin and highly recommend it 

4 tbs melted salted butter
2tsp fresh rosemary
1tsp cracked pepper
1tbs Corn Starch (that is the secret)
Toss the slices in all of the above

Put 1 Tbsp olive oil in 10" skillet and arrange potato slices in concentric circles, layering until all the slices are used. Cover with foil & put in the oven for 20 min. Remove foil and cook 20 - 25 min more. Flip over onto platter & garnish with salt, pepper & fresh rosemary.

Hope you enjoy. Here are my pictures of my cook tonight:

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• ok- so all my pics are upright on my laptop and inverted on my ipad. lets start a Big Mac vs. PC fight!
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Very nice, sir. Nice shotty.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    nice cook - can you post the link for where you got the meat glue again?  think i may look at getting some.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Fantastic. Thanks for the galette. I'm always looking for ways to get my husband to eat sweet potatoes.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • XLBalco said:
    nice cook - can you post the link for where you got the meat glue again?  think i may look at getting some.
    http://www.modernistpantry.com/transglutaminase.html
  • jlsm said:
    Fantastic. Thanks for the galette. I'm always looking for ways to get my husband to eat sweet potatoes.
    The galette was the best thing on the plate. Very good. Anything she makes usually is.

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Very nice.  Where is the meat glue in the photos?  (I am not at the meat glue level yet.)

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Glad you crawled out from...to cook.  Everything looks darn good.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • lakewade said:
    Very nice.  Where is the meat glue in the photos?  (I am not at the meat glue level yet.)
    It's the white powder...............keep yer comments to yourself

• Glad you crawled out from...to cook.  Everything looks darn good.
    Thanks Joan. Simple but good. haven't cooked much lately........like you, been travelling a ton for work

• DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    CT - so you crawled out and, slightly (?) inebriated, created this cook?  Skills, bro, skills...
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • DonWW said:
    CT - so you crawled out and, slightly (?) inebriated, created this cook?  Skills, bro, skills...
    Thank Don. Was really just playing around. I'd had a few so I didn't want to drive to the store but I was still very much upright :)

I've done this cook a few times before (not with the apples and brie) but it's really pretty simple.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Kick @$$ Cen-Tex.  I love the color on the finished thighs.  If one did not have meat glue (that don't sound right)...could one just wrap the things in the salty swine? 

It's always fun to drink, play with fire, and guns. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Kick @$$ Cen-Tex.  I love the color on the finished thighs.  If one did not have meat glue (that don't sound right)...could one just wrap the things in the salty swine? 

It's always fun to drink, play with fire, and guns. 

Sure. Or toothpicks. The cool thing about the meat glue is it actually fuses the prosciutto or bacon to the chicken. You cannot pull them apart.  So when you slice them, it's all one piece. makes for a much better bite and all the bacon does not fall off on the first cut.You can slice them into thin medallions or anything you want and it stays together like it's 1 piece. Pretty cool. Also, for BBQ comps or just to impress your friends, you can remove the chicken skin and scrape the fat off the back and then glue the skin back on the bird. it makes it like a crispy "potato chip" and ensures that clean "one bite, no tug" that comp judges look for. it also glues the skin down so it does not fall off when you cut/bite it. You get a little crispy salty goodness in every bite.It's delicious that way. 

The gun was kind of a wink....just having a little fun. Not sure that came across.......
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Thanks man!  I got the gun thing ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Sure. Or toothpicks. The cool thing about the meat glue is it actually fuses the prosciutto or bacon to the chicken. You cannot pull them apart.  So when you slice them, it's all one piece. makes for a much better bite and all the bacon does not fall off on the first cut.You can slice them into thin medallions or anything you want and it stays together like it's 1 piece. Pretty cool. Also, for BBQ comps or just to impress your friends, you can remove the chicken skin and scrape the fat off the back and then glue the skin back on the bird. it makes it like a crispy "potato chip" and ensures that clean "one bite, no tug" that comp judges look for. it also glues the skin down so it does not fall off when you cut/bite it. You get a little crispy salty goodness in every bite.It's delicious that way. 

The gun was kind of a wink....just having a little fun. Not sure that came across.......
    And I assume the meat glue imparts no flavor at all, correct?  (I googled it - transglutaminase - but would like your opinion.)  Where do you get such a product?

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • lakewade said:

And I assume the meat glue imparts no flavor at all, correct?  (I googled it - transglutaminase - but would like your opinion.)  Where do you get such a product?

correct. No flavor whatsoever get it here: http://www.modernistpantry.com/transglutaminase.html Cool place
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Awesome stuff.  Frankenstein would go ape-sh*t over this technology.

Combining different species together (bwahahaha *lightening strike*) to create the most delicious gastronomical juxtaposition.  I'm gettin' me some.

BTW - that looks delicious,CT

Combining different species together (bwahahaha *lightening strike*) to create the most delicious gastronomical juxtaposition.  I'm gettin' me some.

BTW - that looks delicious,CT

check out some of their suggestions on the website. lamb/scallop lollipops, shrimp noodles. I just use it for the basic stuff but you can get really weird with it. It's fairly cheap and mine lasted well over 6 months in the freezer before I used it all. Time to buy more
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Amazing cook!  did you use your sous vide for the hot water bath ?
  • U_tarded said:
    Amazing cook!  did you use your sous vide for the hot water bath ?

I did last time but this time I used our warming drawer in our oven. It sets up in like 10 minutes so it was easier than using the sous vide. Sous vide worked like a charm too. You could actually do the whole cook in the SV and finish on the egg and it would work perfectly
  • Nice cook, and methinks Ima havta get me some of that thar meat glue!!

BTW, I had to look up "galette" cuz I didn't know what that meant - you guys & your big words like mayonnaise!!   
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433

Nice protection from the hungry masses...:D

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.