Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OK, my turn. Prime rib

Options
2»

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Another amazing looking meal!! ^:)^

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Thanks, folks !

@pezking7p  You might want to go to Chef Knives To Go.  They have all the brands.  Of my high end knives, Shun is the only Japanese brand that I have.  I also have Wusthofs and Henkles, but I like the Shuns better.

For an unbelievable deal, buy this for $60.  I have two of them.  They are not stainless steel, and I like that because they are easier to sharpen.  After using it and cleaning, you need to oil it or else it will rust.  On this knife, I took some steel wool and removed the black from the blade.

Also, Bob Kramer (American) makes an awesome knife.  His knives are high end, and perhaps, a tad more expensive than Shuns.  If you want one made by him personally, you will have a two year waiting period and spend more than $2,000.  I have one of his knives, but not one made by him.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    Options
    Nice knives!  I've been strongly considering something semi-custom from this guy: http://www.watanabeblade.com/english/pro/pro.htm

Or similar, traditional guyoto knife with high-hardness blades.  Does not come cheap, though, at $400 for a knife. 
    Options
    I had a prime rib roast for almost a year in the freezer, so I decided it was time to introduce it to the Egg.

So - you post all these beautful pictures of a prime rib and they want to talk about knives!

How was the PR after sitting in the freezer for a year?

It looks great - I'll have to try a P.R. for Christmas or Thanksgiving.

• Village Idiot
    Options
    733102243 said:
    I had a prime rib roast for almost a year in the freezer, so I decided it was time to introduce it to the Egg.

So - you post all these beautful pictures of a prime rib and they want to talk about knives!

How was the PR after sitting in the freezer for a year?

It looks great - I'll have to try a P.R. for Christmas or Thanksgiving.

Thanks 733102243.  What a coincidence.  That was my inmate number in The Big House.

The prime rib was just as good as the day I bought it.  I always shrink wrap meat before putting it in the freezer, so it doesn't get freezer burn or other stuff.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That is just plain B.E.A.utiful.  I like how you sliced it with the bones in tact.  One of them is a "king cut" and the other is "a really hungry king" cut. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Bad news.  As you can imagine, since it's just my wife and me here, the 5.5 prime rib had some serious left overs.  We talked about how we would eat it throughout the week.

Today, around noon, I sliced off a bit ... nuked it, and ate it.  Yum !  But, I made a mistake.  I left it on the "one of a kind granite countertop from the Andes" (note Little Steven) for awhile.  When I came back, my two miniature dachshunds had somehow managed to scale the sides of the counter and catapult it to the floor, where they were slobbering all over it. 

I am trying to decide how to explain this to SWMBO when she gets home from work.  
    X_X 

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Oh man that sux!  I guess with enough motivation even a miniature wiener dog can learn to climb!  I'm sure the boss will understand.  At least the dogs ate well! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    That sux VI.

All I could think about though is one standing up on its hind legs and the other climbing on his/her shoulders so they could reach the nom noms. Incredibly hilarious visual. :P

Sorry, I couldn't help the thought.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    cazzy said:
    That sux VI. All I could think about though is one standing up on its hind legs and the other climbing on his/her shoulders so they could reach the nom noms. Incredibly hilarious visual. :P Sorry, I couldn't help the thought.
    hahahaha.  That's EXACTLY how I have it pictured.  It's the only physical way it could have happened.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    Awesome looking roast!  Did you save the drippings for gravy or au jus?  It looks like from the photos that there is a pan under the meat. 

FYI - my son enlisted in US Army.  Is an Eagle Scout and was immediately bumped to E3.     
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    DonWW said:
    Awesome looking roast!  Did you save the drippings for gravy or au jus?  It looks like from the photos that there is a pan under the meat. 

FYI - my son enlisted in US Army.  Is an Eagle Scout and was immediately bumped to E3.     
    Don,
    I saved the drippings for au jus.  It really didn't need anything on it though.

As far as the Army, I think they want to entice good people as much as possible.  And, what could be better than an Eagle Scout?  When I got drafted in 1966, during the Vietnam War, they were taking everybody.  They didn't need any incentive.  My bunkmate in basic training was given a choice from the judge - the Army or jail.

Dripping Springs, Texas.