Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dirty ceramic stone on Adjustable Rig

Options
robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
A few weeks ago when I made a brisket the foil wrapped drip pan I used over the ceramic stone (indirect stone instead of plate setter) leaked badly.  Tons of grease/oil all over the stone.  When I removed the brisket and drip tray I let the egg continue to cook at ~500 for about an hour then shut the egg down.

This weekend I was making chilli (Awesome BTW) but while preheating the Egg the ceramic stone was pouring our grease/oil.  I cooked the chilli on the egg for ~4 hours at 350 and when I removed the dutch over that was on the stone the stone was still covered in oil/grease.  I cranked the egg up to 600+ but there was a allot and I mean allot of white smoke and smell pouring out of the egg.   My yard and my neighbors yards were FULL of smoke and I thought for sure someone was going to call the fire department.  I also opened the egg (burping) and the grease/oil caught fir in the stone.  I decided to shut the egg down before I heard the sirens.

Now the houses in my neighborhood are close together and my yard is surrounded by neighboring houses/yards.  I can not crank this up like that again with all that smoke coming out.  How can I clean that ceramic stone or is it now garbage? 

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Send it to me. I'll clean burn it for you :ar!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    No doubt the ceramic has done its job and soaked up oil like a sponge, much the way a pizza stone gets "seasoned". The easy solution is to burn it off. If you don't use the stone for pizza, that is it is a heat shield only, I think you might be able to wash it (others may have a better idea), soak it in Diversol or some other chlorinating detergent. Rinse it well in warm water. This will get most of the oil out, then do a clean burn. 

Or - you could take a page from the pulp mills and refinery industry - do your clean burn after dark when no one can see the smoke.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    I usually cover the pizza stone with foil as well just in case my drip pan leaks, spills or has any other unforeseen accident that would grease up the stone below. As to cleaning it with anything other than a clean burn or two I'm not sure what I would use. Dawn or OxyClean? I'd be afraid that the stone would absorb the soap and that would be just as bad if not worse. So... Burn baby, Burn. 
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i like the do it after dark idea.  you could do it in your oven but i have done that and it is a terrible idea. try firing up your egg after dark for a couple hours since it is getting dark earlier and earlier you may have to do it over a couple nights but you will get it. i would avoid washing it in anything because you see how much grease it soasked up i would hate for your pizza to taste like dawn. it wouldnt kill you but would leave a bad taste in your mouth

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    sounds like a late night clean burn is in order, fire it up around 8, full load of lump, top and bottom wide open. Make sure all the air passages are clean first. just  a warning, you've got about a 60% chance of having the grease push thru the outside of your ceramic on the egg. I just had a wet towel handy and gave it  a quick wipe off.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You also have an 80% chance of glueing it shut unless you are like me and go gasketless.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.