Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Woo Rig Vs Ceramic Grill Works

Options
yumdinger
yumdinger Posts: 255
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am willing to bet each of these products have their loyal followers, so this could get interesting.  I am thinking about buying a new eggcessory and one of these two are in the crosshairs.  I currently use my own two tier system out of 18" grate and 6" bolts.  It has worked well, I feel I get maximum grill space but often I find I would like easier access to both levels.  Thus, the CGW swing rack appeals to me but with a 15" top grate I feel I would be losing valuable grill space (assume someone is going to tell me to get another egg, I am working the wife on that already!).

I think my main goal is to get more volume and accessibility when doing raised direct. I also want to get something like the Spider so I can get closer to the coals for seers, without going in the coals, my wife is not fond of that idea.

Leaning towards the CGW and a small spider for seer.

Any suggestions or eggsperiences are appreciated, Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I have a swing rack on my large and woo for my small, you might find you don't even need to go with a spider for searing the lower grate does a awesome job it self. 

I love my woo on my small and leave it in to do everything direct and I'm sure guys with the adjustable rig from CGS will chime in and give you their input for the multilevel use. The swing rack seemed better fitting for my use on the large but both Franco and Tom are great guys and can answer any questions if you call them. 

Good luck figuring out what works for you! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    I have the swing rack for the XL and love it. I use the crap out of it. Last night made a pork shoulder and used the top rack for chicken breasts.

I also have a small with a woo and love it (like Solson005). I used the small to make more chicken breasts last night.

If I only had one egg, it would be the XL with the swing rack.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • yumdinger
    Options
    Thanks this info helps. With swing grate do you have a means of raising the large grate for raised direct?
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    Options
    I have not tried it with mine, but you would need a Woo, bricks etc.  I imagine the shorter shaft would be needed to keep the upper rack low enough to be useable.  I too have both and found each to be indispensable for certain cooks.  Get one of each if you can swing it.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Solson005
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I just use fire bricks cut in half to raise mine up. But you could also just start it on the bottom and move it to the top depending on what your cooking. The one thing you have to be careful with is, if you swing it out and take whatever is on the bottom rack the top might tip over (as it is designed to stay just above the fire ring when the top is swung out) or just take the food off the top rack before the bottom. A batch of sweet potatoes slid right off the rack when I moved the food off the lower grate first. Easy fix and I'm glad it wasn't ribs or a expensive cut of meat. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • yumdinger
    Options

Great info as always.  Interestingly rolling off was one of my concerns, I imagined myself using the top grate for corn on the cob most often.  Obviously the potential is there to roll off.  I was thinking it woudl be nice if the top had a lip on the top edge to deter this.

I like the fire brick idea. 

• Sgt93
    Options
    I had a brat roll off once but the lower rack caught it. I can't speak for other sizes other than the XL but it's pretty sturdy. The brat was my fault and the top grate was full.
  • Solson005
    Options
    It is fine as long as the egg is level. Just because you can swing it fast doesn't mean you have to when round objects are on the top. Mine is a large FYI. I took off these monster ribs and had too much weight on the top using the platesetter so it wasn't balanced correctly. My fault, and I will remember to take the food off from top down from now on.

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I have the XL Swing Grate and the XL Woo 2.  Love them both.  And with a little thinking you can get creative with the woo.  The Woo2 has a lower ring so you can drop it down to seer.  You can put the woo upside down on the main grate and have elevated for pizza.  Lots of other ways to use them.
  • Sgt93
    Options
    I really would like to see a collaboration between Grill Works and the Grill Store.