Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large vs. Extra-Large Big Green Egg

rbierman
rbierman Posts: 16
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
It is time to get a BGE for family cooking and occasional parties. But which size would be best? My first impression was that the cooking grate area on the large Egg wasn't all that big so maybe I should go all out for an X-Large Egg. I like to cook 3 full slabs of ribs at a time, and the main purpose of buying the Egg will be for smoking as opposed to grilling. Also, I will keep my gas and charcoal Webers for overflow cooking/warming for parties. I intend on building my own cart for the Egg so I must decide beforehand which size it will be.

Comments

• DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    A recent thread on Large vs X-Large has quite a few comments that may be helpful to you.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1232647/

XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • Only like 5,000 threads on this doing a search.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited September 2012
    In addition to the link provided, here's some more to keep you reading for awhile:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1142719/deciding-between-xl-or-lareg-egg#latest

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1142687/have-a-large-where-to-go-next#latest

I'm sure there are many more if you search the forum.  This question seems to pop up every few weeks - it's the BGE equivalent of "which Martial Art should I take?"

HTH,
    HH
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Thank you all for the links and comments that helped me with the decision. I'll be joining more discussions soon as a BGE will soon be smoking on our patio. RB
  • I went through that and bought an XL. No regrets. No problems cooking for just two people or many people. Very fuel efficient. It is a beast in terms of weight. No problem with 3 slabs of ribs. You could easily do more.
  • Go with your what you can afford and that best suits your needs.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763

I went through that and bought an XL. No regrets. No problems cooking for just two people or many people. Very fuel efficient. It is a beast in terms of weight. No problem with 3 slabs of ribs. You could easily do more.

+1
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    My personal experience is, if you buy a LBGE you will own both a LBGE and an XLBGE within a month!

Actually if I only had one, price or portability was not an issue, I would get an XL.  You don't have to load it up completely, and can set a fire to one side for direct and indirect on one grid.  The large cooking area is convenient as is the higher space in the dome.  Not sure you could do 22 turkey thighs or 30 pounds of pork in a LBGE.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    i agree with Doc got my LBGE and within 3 months got my XLBGE both are used almost every day unless we have left overs 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • I let my wife convince me with her "its just the two of us" line to buy the large, and I love it, but wish I would have gotten the XL.  The XL is on the horizon.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Go XLPhotobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

That's 35lb of ribs
    Lynnwood WA
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    In addition to the link provided, here's some more to keep you reading for awhile:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1142719/deciding-between-xl-or-lareg-egg#latest

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1142687/have-a-large-where-to-go-next#latest

I'm sure there are many more if you search the forum.  This question seems to pop up every few weeks - it's the BGE equivalent of "which Martial Art should I take?"

HTH,
    HH

The answer is catch wrestling
    Boom
  • I let my wife convince me with her "its just the two of us" line to buy the large, and I love it, but wish I would have gotten the XL.  The XL is on the horizon.
    Yep...I did the same thing!  But I will be getting an XL.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you cook more food, get a bigger egg.  Less food, get a smaller egg.
    I asked the same question 3 months ago. I ended up with the XL and haven't regretted it once. I've cooked for 25 - 30 people & haven't come close to running out of room. You'll likely use more lump and pay a little more for accessories, but IMHO the you'll still be happier with the XL.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• I got a large and small and love the combo. No regrets and would do it over again if given a choice. Got the best smoker in the world on order (Jambo J-3) which I bought to compete with. I will get it in February.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

I got a large and small and love the combo. No regrets and would do it over again if given a choice. Got the best smoker in the world on order (Jambo J-3) which I bought to compete with. I will get it in February.

Why not get the J-5?

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    edited October 2012
    dlk7 said:
    I got a large and small and love the combo. No regrets and would do it over again if given a choice. Got the best smoker in the world on order (Jambo J-3) which I bought to compete with. I will get it in February.
    Why not get the J-5?

As you know, there is no difference between the J-3 and J-5 except for smoking capacity. The J-3 is huge enough. Ha. Plus it is being used only for comps. and parties. Way more smoker than I need or ever use, but I want it.
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    Based on what you are saying (You like to smoke vs grill, have parties, and cook 3 racks of ribs at a time), I think the XL is the best choice. 
  • EggerinLA
    EggerinLA Posts: 186
    Either is a good choice. You can smoke 3 racks of ribs flat on a large easily. I have the adjustable rib with sliding system and can easily do 6 racks flat on my large.

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    EggerinLA said:
    Either is a good choice. You can smoke 3 racks of ribs flat on a large easily. I have the adjustable rib with sliding system and can easily do 6 racks flat on my large.

this is true. Adjustable rig makes the large a workhorse.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    EggerinLA said:

Only like 5,000 threads on this doing a search.

Great help.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I have 4 large eggs. I have an extra large as well but don't use it very often. It's the old style and if I were buying my first now I would go with the XL

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• mikeb9550
    mikeb9550 Posts: 95
    edited October 2012
    On here, pretty much everyone will say XL. I went with the large because all my other grills were larger and never got filled. I cook for 3 but the other 2 arn't big meat eaters. I would say it depends on what your cooking needs are. If you don't need the extra space cost, weight, size, cost of accessories all go in favor of the large. The L is probably overkill for what I do.

I also plan on making a swing rack but that is mostly to cook lower temp or keep stuff warm since its harder to do indirect like on my weber. Like cooking baked potatoes when doing steak. Been busy trying to finish my outdoor BBQ area before winter gets here.

If I cooked for large groups or had a big family, XL for sure.  I would recommend going one size up. For example, my needs I probably would have been ok with the Med but went with large. 

• EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    I have both the XL and L. I use the XL more because of the larger cooking area. I did get a lump reducing ring to save on lump usage. My advice is get the largest one that fits your budget.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • People say get the biggest size for your budget. Not to be rude, but that is funny to me. If a person has a disposable income to spend on a large then an additional couple of hundred isn't much. Heck, if I was going to get a new one and considering a xl, I would spend that money on a large/small combo. Not too much difference in price and a whole lot more versatile. Hot and fast on one, low and slow on another at the same time. So much better. Now if price isn't a concern buy them all.
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    edited October 2012
    I got mine about 9 months ago and after agonizing back and forth, and budget was not the issue, I got the Large. I cook for 4 of us most nights and sometimes for more when the other kids are home from school. Only a few times have I felt like I needed the extra space. Have easily cooked 3-4 racks of ribs and 3 butts. For me the Large works.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    People say get the biggest size for your budget. Not to be rude, but that is funny to me. If a person has a disposable income to spend on a large then an additional couple of hundred isn't much. Heck, if I was going to get a new one and considering a xl, I would spend that money on a large/small combo. Not too much difference in price and a whole lot more versatile. Hot and fast on one, low and slow on another at the same time. So much better. Now if price isn't a concern buy them all.
    The OP asked for everyones opinions. No need to refute others, just add your own and everyone will benefit. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • LOL. I will comment whenever I feel like it. You nor anyone else will tell me how to post. If ya don't like it, then ignore my comments. Easy enough.