Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Busted My Damper Top - Feeling Like a Doofus

Fred19Flintstone
Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm at my Mom's cooking on my small.  It's kinda dark and I can't read my Thermapen.  I'm cooking chicken legs in a rack in the driveway and I thought "There's plenty of light in the garage."  I unlock the nest wheels and pull it into the garage without thinking of the ceramic damper top sitting on one of the wing shelves.  I rumble over the threshold into the garage and heard breaking ceramic.  Very dumb.  The meal was good, but I was kinda bummed.  It's a warranty item, but bummed just the same.  Wasn't in the mood for pix, sorry.
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    like how bad?  maybe JB Weld would put it right

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• I don't think it is under warranty if it is user error for the reason it broke. Now of course you could try lying, but I'm sure you are too honest to try that.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    edited October 2012
    Been there, done that (three times!), don't be so harsh on yourself, hope yours is salvageable with JBW too.  I doubt accidents are covered by warranty.

Large: (fixed three years ago, still holding up well)
    imageimageIMG_5382.jpg image by canadaodyowner

Small: (a year later, still good)
    imageimage

In fact, I dropped one of them second time when I removed the vinyl cover.  Lesson learned: remove ceramic cap before covering. Fortunately the Nomex prevented it from shattering all over the floor. The Nomex seals the top for quick shut-down, also provides a nice snug fit.

this one vertically around the inner neck:

not enough space around the neck on this one, Nomex applied horizontally on the underside:
    imageimage

some folks line the top of the dome itself, horizontally or vertically, space permitting.
    canuckland
  • I was just reading the warranty and discovered you guys are correct. I will owe some stupid tax if/when I replace it. I will give JB Weld a shot, I'm not hopeful because I did a thorough job. 

Flint, Michigan
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    edited October 2012
    If your DFMT has a tight fit, it's sufficient to snuff out the fire.  Or, how about trying one of these with a felt liner?

canuckland
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Welcome to the club
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    We're you at least drinking? Not that that would make you feel any better...
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    r270ba said:
    Is there really any doubt?  :ar!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Maybe that was more of a rhetorical post just to get me in the conversation??? kind like someone dying...what do you really say 'damn that sucks' :)
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    I have been leaving my daisy wheel on all the time. Mistake? You guys use your ceramic lid?
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • r270ba said:
    Is there really any doubt?  :ar!
    Stone cold sober AND stupid.  So no booze, just being a boob.  That's what kinda irritates me about the whole matter. 
    Flint, Michigan