Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Calzones Pictures

jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I was kinda down in the dumps today. You'll all recognize the feeling. It was looking like events had conspired so that I would get no time on my Egg today. Suddenly at the last minute I was free for supper, the only trick was it needed to be things I already had on hand. I had seen the recipe on the BGE website for beef calzones and I had a winner. I made a few changes or tweaks. First I made my own pizza dough using the recipe in the BGE Cookbook. Second I changed the turkey pepperoni to beef pepperoni and the grated mozzarella cheese to a grated 6 cheese Italian cheese blend I use on my pizzas. I also upped the amount of Italian seasoning I used. While the dough was doing it's rise I got the fillings ready. I'll let the captions take over from here.

The filling used 93 percent ground beef, pepperoni slices sliced in half, diced onion & garlic, Italian seasoning, table salt & black pepper.

The Egg has been preheated with the plate setter installed legs up and the s/s grill grate on top of the plate setter & the half moon cast iron grille grate above that.

The fillings were sauteed on the half moon cast iron grill grate until the beef was cooked. The smell while it was cooking was fantastic!

The pizza dough has completed its 90 minute rise & was divided into 4 dough balls. Each dough ball was rolled out.

First step was to add the meat filling...

Next comes the 6-cheese Italian cheese blend.

The calzone is folded over & I used a crimping tool to close, trim & seal the calzone.

The half moon cast iron grill grate was replace with the BGE pizza stone which was preheated at 425 for 30 minutes. The calzones are on a greased pizza pan on the pizza stone.

The calzones are done after 16 minutes.

The calzones were served with some tomato basil pasta sauce.

The calzone had a wonderful crust. It was soft and easy to chew with a bit of a crispiness when you first bite in.

The calzones were a big hit with both me & my wife. Very zesty & tasty and they are a relatively quick meal to make. Win-Win!

Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Looks great Jim. Hadn't considered calzones on the Egg before.
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks like a great meal! Great use of the half moon grate I always use the stove, I might have to go get one. Is that a pastry board or a mat? Either way I like it. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Similar to Chilean empanadas.  That reminds me that I need to make a new batch.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Looks great
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Looks great. Could you cook these right on the stone instead of the pan? I always hear that a pizza made in a wood burning oven right on the brick is great.  I wonder how close the BGE can come to that?  If you could not tell by my question, I recently got a green egg and am still learning to cook on it.  I also like the half moon griddle you used.
  • jfm0830
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for your comments.
    Solson005 said:
    .... Is that a pastry board or a mat? Either way I like it. 
    It is a silicone mat made by the King Arthur Flour Company. It's a bit pricey but it is well-made, the dough doesn't stick, and it's fairly easy to clean up afterwards.

Similar to Chilean empanadas.  That reminds me that I need to make a new batch.

I was thinking the exact same thing. While I was cooking the Calzones I was trying to decide if I could take my empanadas outdoors to the BGE. The recipe I use has you cook them in the oven, sitting in a shallow sheet pan in a bed of hot and shimmering olive oil. I don't see any reason why I couldn't do something like that out on the egg.
  • jfm0830
    edited October 2012
    slostok said:
    Looks great. Could you cook these right on the stone instead of the pan? I always hear that a pizza made in a wood burning oven right on the brick is great.  I wonder how close the BGE can come to that?  If you could not tell by my question, I recently got a green egg and am still learning to cook on it.  I also like the half moon griddle you used.

No worries! I'm new too and frankly I don't have an answer for you. Several people around here asked me that same question too. The recipe came off the Big Green Egg website and they call for you to use the pizza stone and a cookie sheet. The picture you don't see here is the one where I went to put my square cookie sheet on the round large BGE it didn't fit. So I used a pizza pan. My guess is you probably could do it directly on the pizza stone, but they were probably trying to avoid some stickage issues. You wouldn't want to put them right down on the pizza stone. Cornmeal wouldn't be appropriate underneath the calzone and at 450 degrees for 12 minutes (or 16 in my case) the 450 degree temperature was probably too hot to use parchment paper for that long. Just a guess though.
  • jfm0830 said:

I was thinking the exact same thing. While I was cooking the Calzones I was trying to decide if I could take my empanadas outdoors to the BGE. The recipe I use has you cook them in the oven, sitting in a shallow sheet pan in a bed of hot and shimmering olive oil. I don't see any reason why I couldn't do something like that out on the egg.
    Jim,
    My recipe just calls for baking them in the oven - no olive oil (well, maybe a squirt of PAM).  My girlfriend in college was from Chile, and her mom made the greatest empanadas.  I cried my eyes out when she broke up with me, not because of her, because of her mom's empanadas.

Here's the recipe I got.  If you think your's is better, would love to see it.

Empanadas, Chilean

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:

2 Very large Onions, Coarsely chopped

1 1/2 lbs. Beef, ground     

3 teaspoons Paprika

2 teaspoons Cumin, ground

3 teaspoons Hot Sauce, heaping. Use chili paste

Raisins

5 Hard boiled eggs

1 1/4 cup Water, Iced

3 3/4 cups Flour     , All purpose

1 1/2 teaspoon Salt

1 tablespoon Sugar

12 tablespoons Butter, Unsalted

1 Egg, beaten.  For brushing top

Directions:

1. To prepare the dough: Using a food processor, pulse the flour, sugar and salt about 6-8 times until combined. Add the butter pieces and pulse again (about 16 times) until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal and butter pieces are about the size of peas

2. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl then add 1/4 cup of water at a time, stirring it in using a rubber spatula. Press the mixture against the sides of the bowl to form a dough until no small bits of flour remain (you may not need all of the water).

3. Turn the dough out on a clean work surface and divide in two. Form each dough into a ball then flatten to a 6-inch disk. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (up to 2 days) before using

4. To Prepare the Filling: Saute the beef and onions in all until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the spices, hot sauce, salt and pepper and continue to cook for another 3-4 minutes. Set aside. This can be made a day or two ahead of time.

5. To Assemble the Empanadas: Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Roll out one of the refrigerated disks of dough on a lightly floured surface into an 18-inch circle about 1/8 of an inch thick. Cut out 6-inch disks (I used a bowl) and transfer them to the parchment-lined baking sheet. I got about 7 rounds from each disk–make sure you cut the rounds carefully since you won’t be able to re-roll the scraps to make more rounds. Repeat with the remaining disks of dough.

6. To fill the Empanadas, add 1 tsp to 1 tbsp of the meat mixture, raisins, olives and egg pieces then fold one edge of the dough over to create a half moon. Crimp the edges with the tines of a fork. The empanadas can be refrigerated up to 3 days (or frozen up to 1 month) before baking.

7. To Bake the Empanadas, preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Brush the tops of the empanadas with the egg and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. If frozen, it may take about 25 minutes. (If using the convection feature of your oven like I did, I baked mine for 21 min at 400 degrees F.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• jfm0830
    V.I.:
    I don't know where this came from, someone sent it to me and I don't know if it is better than yours. It does seem to have more ingredients and more steps. That doesn't necessarily make it better. Wether it is more betterer I will leave for you to decide:

BEEF EMPANADAS:

INGREDIENTS:

Filling:

1 large Slice Hearty White Sandwich Bread, torn into quarters

2 Tbsp Plus 1/2 Cup Low-Sodium Chicken Broth

1 pound 85 Percent Lean Ground Chuck

3/4 tsp Table Salt

1/2 tsp Black Pepper, freshly ground

1 Tbsp Olive Oil

2 medium Onions, chopped fine (about 2 cups)

4 medium Garlic Cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 4 teaspoons)

1 tsp Ground Cumin

1/4 tsp Cayenne

1/8 tsp Ground Cloves

1/2 cup Packed Cilantro Leaves, coarsely chopped

2 Hard-Cooked Eggs, coarsely chopped

1/3 cup Raisins, coarsely chopped

1/4 cup Pitted Green Olives, coarsely chopped

4 tsp Cider Vinegar

to taste: Table Salt

to taste: Black Pepper, freshly ground

Dough:

15 ounces Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, plus extra for work surface

5 ounces Masa Harina (See Note)

1 Tbsp Sugar

2 tsp Table Salt

1 1/2 sticks Unsalted Butter, cut into ½-inch cubes and chilled

1/2 cup Cold Vodka Or Tequila (See Note)

1/2 cup Cold Water

Other Equipment:

3 Half Sheet Pans

5 Tbsp Olive Oil, for baking empanadas

NOTES: 

-The alcohol in the dough is essential to the texture of the crust and imparts no flavor—do not substitute for it or omit.

-Masa harina can be found in the international aisle with other Latin foods or in the baking aisle with the flour. If you cannot find masa harina, replace it with additional all-purpose flour (for a total of 4 cups). 

DIRECTIONS:

FOR THE FILLING: 

1) Process bread and 2 tablespoons chicken broth in food processor until paste forms, about 5 seconds, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary. 

2) Add beef, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and pulse until mixture is well combined, six to eight 1-second pulses. 

3) Set the mixture aside.

4) Heat oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. 

5) Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. 

6) Stir in garlic, cumin, cayenne, and cloves; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. 

7) Add beef mixture and cook, breaking meat into 1-inch pieces with wooden spoon, until browned, about 7 minutes. 

8) Add remaining 1/2 cup chicken broth and simmer until mixture is moist but not wet, 3 to 5 minutes. 

9) Transfer mixture to bowl and cool 10 minutes. 

10) Stir in cilantro, eggs, raisins, olives, and vinegar. 

11) Season with salt and pepper to taste and refrigerate until cool, about 1 hour. (Filling can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.)

FOR THE DOUGH: 

1) Process 1 cup flour, masa harina, sugar, and salt in food processor until combined, about two 1-second pulses. 

2) Add butter and process until homogeneous and dough resembles wet sand, about 10 seconds. 

3) Add remaining 2 cups flour and pulse until mixture is evenly distributed around bowl, 4 to 6 quick pulses. 

4) Empty mixture into large bowl.

5) Sprinkle vodka or tequila and water over mixture. Using hands, mix dough until it forms tacky mass that sticks together. 

6) Divide dough in half, then divide each half into 6 equal pieces. 

7) Transfer dough pieces to plate, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm, about 45 minutes or up to 2 days.

TO ASSEMBLE: 

1) Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower-middle positions, place 1 baking sheet on each rack, and heat oven to 425 degrees. 

2) While baking sheets are preheating, remove dough from refrigerator. 

3) Roll each dough piece out on lightly floured work surface into 6-inch circle about 1/8 inch thick, covering each dough round with plastic wrap while rolling remaining dough. 

4) Place about 1/3 cup filling in center of each dough round. 

5) Brush edges of dough with water and fold dough over filling. 

6) Trim any ragged edges. Press edges to seal. Crimp edges of empanadas using fork.

TO BAKE: 

1) Drizzle 2 tablespoons oil over surface of each hot baking sheet, then return to oven for 2 minutes. 

2 Brush empanadas with remaining tablespoon oil. 

3) Carefully place 6 empanadas on each baking sheet and cook until well browned and crisp, 25 to 30 minutes, rotating baking sheets front to back and top to bottom halfway through baking. 

4) Cool empanadas on wire rack 10 minutes and serve.

Reheating recommendations were: 20 seconds on high heat in the microwave or 10-15 minutes in a preheated oven set at 325℉.