Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Brisket

Options
bigphil
bigphil Posts: 1,390
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Doing a 12.87 pound brisket tonight injected with a little beef broth and garlic, mustard coating then dusted with dizzy dust ,cow lick and a heavy coat red eye express grid temp 270 some apple, hickory and cherry chunks and chips . Once that comes off tomorrow morning going to put on a pork butt cooked to about 165/170 for slicing never tried this one hoping its better than doing a loin .
Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    yeah buddy. looks good. If you can get your hadns on some oak, give thta a rip. Something about oak and beef that is money (for me anyway). You are holding the torch hight this weekend. I had chicken parm tonight and I'm going to a tailgate/football game tomorrow so no eggin' for me until Sunday. Should be plenty of good Q at the tailgate though. It's gonna be a texas style throwdown. I'll send pics.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bigphil
    Options
    Sounds like fun Cen-Tex and a huge face palm i think i have oak out in my wood pile . i'll check and use that on the pork Thanks and Brisket next time 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    bigphil said:
    Sounds like fun Cen-Tex and a huge face palm i think i have oak out in my wood pile . i'll check and use that on the pork Thanks and Brisket next time 

I still do hickory on butts most of the time but I've been down with oak on all beef lately. You can't go wrong woth the woods you are using. Just throwin it out there
  • bigphil
    Options
    always willing to try a new twist thanks its how we learn 
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    how long do you plan on getting smoke from the chunks and chips?  I did my first brisket last weekend and didn't get a smoke ring even though I thought I had smoke on it for 3-4 hrs (by hours 2.5 I was sleeping) 

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• bigphil
    Options
    when i loaded the egg i built it up with chips and chunks in the center so as the fire burns down its hitting wood all the time also spread some chips outwards to so they fall into the center as it burns .the colder the meat the better also since from what i heard the smoke ring only develops till about 140 internal but the smoke sticks to the outside during the entire cook also read that the smoke ring is pretty but not a indication of how much smoke the meat took on or has could have read that wrong tho . Cen-Tex will correct any wrong statements i made i hope or someone that has done a lot more than me 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    BigWader said:
    how long do you plan on getting smoke from the chunks and chips?  I did my first brisket last weekend and didn't get a smoke ring even though I thought I had smoke on it for 3-4 hrs (by hours 2.5 I was sleeping) 

we had the smoke ring chat earlier this week. I never get them...ever. I've tried all the tricks but it is extremely rare that I get one on the egg. Don't worry, that does not mean you are not getting smoke though
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    +1 on oak and beef.  my favorite is a few chunks during the roast period of a big ol' ribeye with a good cabernet that is really oaky in taste, the 2 compliment each other in an amazing fashion.  oak on brisket is superb, it was always my favorite at the q joints that used it when i lived in texas.
  • bigphil
    Options
    Brisket is done looks and smells great its been FTC for a little while and the pork butt is on now taking that to about 165/175 to slice it .rubbed with red eye express and blues hog rub no oak to add so i went with apple and maple sugar wood . since am doing the pork to slice i decided to try fat side up on the v-rack 
  • bigphil
    Options
    pork butt is done and resting pulled it @175 internal temp gonna let it rest then slice it . Brisket been sliced . made a run to my butcher he's a old german guy took him some and when he tasted it the look on his face made it all worth it smile ear to ear said it was like butter . just put some fresh kielbasie on then some chicken breast and thighs 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    @bigphil-Congrats on one extended cook!!  Sounds like quite the successful journey. Doubt my liver could handle the duration but would that I had the chance.  What size BGE and any lump reload required?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bigphil
    edited October 2012
    Options
    @lousubcap did it all on my LBGE filled it into the fire ring leaving just enough gap so the PS didn't hit the lump doing it that way i never had to reload lump was RO . i lit the egg at 7pm last night and just now at 5pm tonight shutting it down i have more than enough lump left to cook a full breakfast tomorrow morning (giving the XL the morning off) and a few smaller cooks during the week . right now thats 22 hours of burn time with a grid temp of 270 and dome temp right around 300 gotta love the egg .the picture shows whats left in the fire box 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Thanks for the info-I have run the LBGE that long on one load.  Upon further review-smart move to remove the butt at 175-greatly reduces cook time and lump consumption.  Geez-the encore for Sunday :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bigphil
    Options
    Thanks i wanted to slice it rather then pull this time