Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with my Butt

bigphil
bigphil Posts: 1,390
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
i have a pork butt i've done a few pulled pork all great but i never did a butt with the intent of slicing it . Wondering has anyone done this if so any tips on it low and slow or indirect roast and what temp to cook it to so its not dried out or is this a bad idea ? Thanks 
Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.

Comments

• Why not do it the same way you usually do then slice it?  I haven't done it & think it may want to fall apart as you're slicing it, perhaps let it cool all the way down or even refrigerate before slicing, then reheat - if you're going for uniform looking slices that is.  If it's not much of an issue, do it right out of the egg or foil
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I'm sure Mr. McNuttly is right in his own mind but if you do a pork butt north of 190* it's not going to be sliceable. Do it to 160* and you get moist and delicious pork roast. Don't go lower cause it will be too fatty.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hashmaker
    Hashmaker Posts: 149
    I would cook it the same way you would normally cook it but instead of going to 195-200 degrees, pull it off at about 175 degrees. FTC it for an hour or so then slice it up. Let us know how it turns out!
  • I'm sure Mr. McNuttly is right in his own mind but if you do a pork butt north of 190* it's not going to be sliceable. Do it to 160* and you get moist and delicious pork roast. Don't go lower cause it will be too fatty.
    see, it's these kind of personal attacks that create strife and bad feelings, Mr. Steven.  May I also point out that I did mention the slicing issue he might encounter if done the normal way (north of 190 to use your reference) which is why I suggested some possible ways around that (you might have noticed that very very tender meat will slice easier if chilled).  Please do try and read what I write before lodging future gratuitous attacks so I don't have to constantly correct you.  Good day sir
  • Little Steven
    That's Mr. Little to you sir.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    And please folks there has been more than enough drama here in the last couple of days to get into a flame war about our jesting. McNuttly is known to me, and police in several states but I digress, this is not something that needs to amount to anything more.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bigphil
    @McNuttly,Hashmaker and Little Steven ,
    Thanks for taking the time and making suggestions i appreciate it . knowing this wasn't a drama thread  
    =))  am glad i got some good suggestions . i think being i want nice slices i'll go with the 160/170 internal temp after my brisket is done in the morning .The LBGE is loaded up into the fire ring and coming to temp now for the brisket i'll certainly have enough lump left to put the pork on 
    Thanks again to all of you  
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • And please folks there has been more than enough drama here in the last couple of days to get into a flame war about our jesting. McNuttly is known to me, and police in several states but I digress, this is not something that needs to amount to anything more.
    how can you have the same number of posts 2 posts in a row. It's almost like you can just have as many as you want to. Some kind of weird MOJO going on with you man. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bigphil
    same number as when he posted in the lets get back on track thread maybe he's at a stall lol 
  • bigphil said:
    same number as when he posted in the lets get back on track thread maybe he's at a stall lol 
    I think the counter stops at 18,246 :)). We have found the end of the internet.

• Hashmaker
    Hashmaker Posts: 149
    The Internet ends with Mr. Little. Lol!
    Interesting.
    =))
  • I really thought the end of the internet would have been cooler. Pots of gold, unicorns, Jimmy Hoffa.........nope. Just a drunk little Canadian with a forum problem.

• and sadly, that's all I need to have fun (big fan of Canadians, they make me feel better about my drinking habits)