Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slow Smoked Ham Hocks....Picture

Options
thailandjohn
thailandjohn Posts: 952
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Another 20 lbs of Ham Hocks slow smoked at 215 degrees for 4 1/2 hours Nothing on the Hocks, just get to temp and load the Hocks After my batch I cooked last week, more people have asked for some Great in beans and greens Click for picture. http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww116/JohnPatterson/25c19f73edde47a3410e7c3efbb6fbf7.jpg

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    John after your last cook I did about 10 lbs. WOW
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Aren't ham hocks already smoked? I get mine at an Amish butcher and I'm pretty sure they are. (Haven't bought any this season, yet.) If so, what's the point?
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

I see a mess of beans in your future. What do ham hocks go for per pound?

@jlsm - I assume you can get them fresh or smoked, but I maybe wrong.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Options
    jlsm said:

Aren't ham hocks already smoked? I get mine at an Amish butcher and I'm pretty sure they are. (Haven't bought any this season, yet.) If so, what's the point?

You can get both ways. Just re-smoke or totally smoke. I like John's way best. Also toss in a few turkey legs when you do it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• thailandjohn
    Options
    Mickey said:
    You can get both ways. Just re-smoke or totally smoke. I like John's way best. Also toss in a few turkey legs when you do it.

Big difference between commercial smoked and smoking fresh ones yourself
  • Mickey
    Options
    @thailandjohn, no question big difference between the two. I was was getting at is the already smoked is improved by re-smoking. Just not as good. The same goes with already smoked turkey lags re-smoked not anywhere as good as smoked from raw. Way better to buy raw and so easy by following Johns way.

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I'm not really sure I can get fresh. I'll look. I use a few every winter. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • thailandjohn
    Options
    Go to a Mexican or Chinese market that has a fresh meat department.......the next time I get hocks to smoke, I will take a picture that you can show the butcher in case he does not understand....I will also post on how I have them cut and why