Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving Turkey

Beach Cooker
Beach Cooker Posts: 6
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have never cooked a Turkey on the Egg.  What is the best rule of thumb (hours per pound?) and if you have done one let me know how it turned out.  Any good recipes?

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited October 2012
    I spatchcock a 12 lb bird (like the smaller birds better). If time I leave uncovered in fridge overnight. I use a coffee rub (use what you like). Cook skin side up and will never turn over the bird on the Egg. Cook raised and direct at 375/400. I like a very small mix of cherry and pecan wood for very light smoke (VERYLIGHT). This is less than 90 min cook so if you need more meat just do it twice.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey

By spatchcock: cut down both sides of backbone (cutting out the backbone) and open up the bird.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    If you need to cook 2 turkeys on a large - One after the other do you FTC the first one when done?  Or how to you reheat it so it stays moist.

Garnerville, NY
  • So you suggest cooking to Temp and not a specific time (like time per pound)?
  • robnybbq said:
    If you need to cook 2 turkeys on a large - One after the other do you FTC the first one when done?  Or how to you reheat it so it stays moist.
    Mickey won't know the answer to that.  He just cooks for the pictures, then throws the food away.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    If you roast it indirect @ 325* a la Mad Max you are looking at 12 to 14 minutes a pound. Fishlessman did a poll one year and averaged it out.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    So you suggest cooking to Temp and not a specific time (like time per pound)?

Always cook to Temp. Well always except ribs or jijitas.

• Mickey
    robnybbq said:
    Well VI is mostly correct, but when I don't toss the food I find by foiling and  125 oven works for me. Then cut them togather and plates just fine.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    If you roast it indirect @ 325* a la Mad Max you are looking at 12 to 14 minutes a pound. Fishlessman did a poll one year and averaged it out.
    for the majority it came out somewhere between 14 and 15 minutes, a few came in faster which could have been a gage not calibrated or maybe a low sided pan, and there were a few up around 18 which i think some were wiggling legs or wating for the button to pop. dont wait for the button to pop, it pops around 185 plus which is way over cooked for breast meat. this was all for 325 dome temps
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Good advice from everyone...just a few things to add from my experience. I use the Zuni Cafe method of dry brining. Start three days ahead of your cook by rubbing your kosher salt/herb mixture all over under the skin. Refrigerate two days in a zip lock. Remove and dry uncovered in the fridge overnight before the cook. Have your cooler/blankets ready because my two 18 pounders (see pic) took less than two hours. Great way to free up the oven on Thanksgiving for other things and oh so good!