Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Polarizing Pizzas and Pictures (but hopefully not that polarizing)

r270ba
r270ba Posts: 763
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just finished 2 pizzas tonight.  I was inspired by some of the recent posts with pies that looked out of this world.  Unfortunately, I did not have the time to make my own dough, so I picked up some Publix dough.  I let the dough come to room temp for about 1.5 hours and then divided in half.  Was going for thin crust and achieved it.

The first pizza was Pepperoni and the second was Prosciutto, Basil, and Pineapple (wife's request).  The toppings on the pepperoni got done a tad before the crust so the crust was a little doughy.  The Prosciutto was cooked perfectly.

Hope you enjoy...we did 

Anderson, SC
XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

Comments

• Hey!  These pizzas look like mine!  I can identify their wonky shape anywhere!  Funny, I don't remember making these...Whoa!  When did I get an XL?
    Flint, Michigan
  • r270ba
    Oh and one more thing...+1 for the Superpeel!  I know there have been some discussions about it recently and this was my first use after a epic FAIL a few months ago with parchment paper (didn't know I could leave it on the egg) and cutting boards.  
    Anderson, SC

• r270ba
    edited October 2012
    Hey!  These pizzas look like mine!  I can identify their wonky shape anywhere!  Funny, I don't remember making these...Whoa!  When did I get an XL?
    :)) If you are ever in SC then by all means stop by and we can make some wonky pizzas together!
    Anderson, SC

• You made the wife happy....most important thing that could happen. Pizza looks great. Have not tried pizza yet but since I just got a pizza stone...gotta give it a try. 

Opelika, Alabama
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Looks pretty good to me. Pizza is one of the most fulfilling cooks for me. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Practice, practice, practice.  I like my toppings a little caramelized.

I have come to believe the higher in the dome set up really helps.  I do a PS legs up, grid, upside down Woo and stone to elevate as much as possible.
    1.JPG 2.3M

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• r270ba

I have come to believe the higher in the dome set up really helps.  I do a PS legs up, grid, upside down Woo and stone to elevate as much as possible.
    I thought about putting some bricks on the grid to get the stone higher...would that work?
    Anderson, SC

• r270ba said:

I thought about putting some bricks on the grid to get the stone higher...would that work?

now you are officially a pro. absolutely. Or beer cans, or bolts. You got the idea. Rig it up
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    r270ba said:

now you are officially a pro. absolutely. Or beer cans, or bolts. You got the idea. Rig it up
    Or balls of tin foil, or your wifes rollers, or cat food cans.......you get the idea
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Great looking pizzas!! Your wife's pizza sounds really interesting. I also found the extra room on your XL surprising in a good way. I saw the pizzas in the Kitchen and wondered how it was going to ever fit, but there was plenty of room.

Like you I too can't roll out a round pizza to save my life. But one of my grilled pizza cookbooks says the free form ameba-shaped pizzas just taste better.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • r270ba
    jfm0830 said:
    Great looking pizzas!! Your wife's pizza sounds really interesting. I also found the extra room on your XL surprising in a good way. I saw the pizzas in the Kitchen and wondered how it was going to ever fit, but there was plenty of room.

Like you I too can't roll out a round pizza to save my life. But one of my grilled pizza cookbooks says the free form ameba-shaped pizzas just taste better.

Jim
    I have done a few pizzas on the Egg but never an XL (first time on mine).  They always seem to be too big on the Large but fit perfectly on the XL.  My dad is bald (so am I actually) and has always said that God only made a few perfect heads...the rest he put hair on.  I guess the same can be said about pizza crust...he only made a few perfect and the rest he made round.

Anderson, SC

• r270ba
    jfm0830 said:
    Your wife's pizza sounds really interesting. 
    Jim
    First time we have ever done pineapple on the Prosciutto (I only did half) and it was pretty good.  Kind of a twist on the ham and pineapple Hawaiian pizza.  The Prosciutto and Basil (without pineapple) is a must try Jim.
    Anderson, SC

• Round shmound.  It all looks good to me!  I resisted pizza for a long time and am now a pizza convert.  I do what we like the way we like.  So where can I get a jalapeno, mango, ham pizza topped with fresh basil when it comes out of the oven? At my house!
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You can't taste the roundness of pizza.  Good job, and I'm happy to see you included the prerequisite beer as part of the cast in your pics. :)
    edited October 2012

You can't taste the roundness of pizza.  Good job, and I'm happy to see you included the prerequisite beer as part of the cast in your pics. :)

I am glad I didn't include the last pic of the night to show How many actually ended up being drank! :)
    Anderson, SC

• I agree with Baysidebob: Round Smound.  I make wonky shaped pies, like I said, and they taste good.  Yours look great!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Very looking good pizza cook.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • r270ba
    Thanks guys!

One thing I did notice last night was a distinct flavor, what I assume to be smoke, that has been there on both my pizza cooks.  Take a look at the 9th picture.  Any ideas why my egg was smoking so much?  It didn't seem to smoke as much without the DW on but I couldn't control the temp as well either.

Should all cooks on the Egg have that distinct taste or did I do something wrong?  I was using the BGE Lump.  While the taste was fine, I would prefer for it to not be there.

Any ideas?
    Anderson, SC

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    How bearable was the Publix dough?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Not sure about the smoke, just wanted to say the pizzas look great and the use of the Super Peel. I have tried firebricks under the stone and use that method for my small egg. My newest setup for the large is using the two tier swing rack pizza stone on the lower grid and then put it on the top to finish the top up high in the dome. I bought a pastry mat to help keep the size down when making pies on the small and it makes me try to get my dough round but no luck yet. All the little kids that make their own pies love the different shapes on the "egg pizza" and ask to have it everytime they are over.. 

Keep up the good work! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • r270ba
    henapple said:
    How bearable was the Publix dough?
    Wasn't the best dough in the world but for needing it in a pinch it was pretty damn good!
    Anderson, SC

• r270ba
    Solson005 said:
    Not sure about the smoke, just wanted to say the pizzas look great and the use of the Super Peel. I have tried firebricks under the stone and use that method for my small egg. My newest setup for the large is using the two tier swing rack pizza stone on the lower grid and then put it on the top to finish the top up high in the dome. I bought a pastry mat to help keep the size down when making pies on the small and it makes me try to get my dough round but no luck yet. All the little kids that make their own pies love the different shapes on the "egg pizza" and ask to have it everytime they are over.. 

Keep up the good work! 
    Thanks!  Yea I almost think a round pizza doesn't have any character :).  I have one of the dough mats like that (just realized it when you posted the picture).  

About the kids...I was a little disappointed last night because my 3.5 year old was so excited to make his pizza, until it was time to actually make it, then he wasn't interested.  He usually loves to cook with me but we were a little later last night getting started.  I think he was getting tired.
    Anderson, SC

• r270ba
    I would still love anyone to chime in on the flavor I may have been tasting and how to get rid of it.
    Anderson, SC

• Hashmaker
    Hashmaker Posts: 149
    Nice looking pizzas! Mine are never round either. Have you done a clean burn? Sometimes fat may have dripped down into the lump or maybe there's some residue from past cooks stuck to the sides or in the dome. Just my thoughts. I'm curious what the more experienced eggers say about it too.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    r270ba said:
    Thanks guys!

One thing I did notice last night was a distinct flavor, what I assume to be smoke, that has been there on both my pizza cooks.  Take a look at the 9th picture.  Any ideas why my egg was smoking so much?  It didn't seem to smoke as much without the DW on but I couldn't control the temp as well either.

Should all cooks on the Egg have that distinct taste or did I do something wrong?  I was using the BGE Lump.  While the taste was fine, I would prefer for it to not be there.

Any ideas?
    Was the smoke clear before you started?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    My guess is that the pizza's were put on before the fire was ready.  Like Little Steven asked above.  The flame in the one pic with the pizza on the egg still looks to be going fairly well.  I'd try giving the fire a bit more time.

I do want to comment on one other thing.  You have good taste in beer.   I pick up some Sweetwater and Terrapin every time I'm in the area.  Huge craft beer guy here. Cheers!

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• r270ba

Hashmaker
     said:
    Nice looking pizzas! Mine are never round either. Have you done a clean burn? Sometimes fat may have dripped down into the lump or maybe there's some residue from past cooks stuck to the sides or in the dome. Just my thoughts. I'm curious what the more experienced eggers say about it too.

I haven't done a clean burn but I did make sure and 'scrape' out all the ash from the firebox so there was only lump left from the last burn.  
    Was the smoke clear before you started?
    I had just done ribs this weekend and there was drippings on the platesetter.  Smoke probably was not clear.  You think this might be the problem?  What does the clear smoke do for me?
    YEMTrey said:
    My guess is that the pizza's were put on before the fire was ready.  Like Little Steven asked above.  The flame in the one pic with the pizza on the egg still looks to be going fairly well.  I'd try giving the fire a bit more time.

I did notice that the flames were NOT there during the second cook (pic #8 vs pic #11) and I didn't need to fear for my arm hair while burping during the second cook.  So I should wait until the flames become hot lump?

YEMTrey said:
    I do want to comment on one other thing.  You have good taste in beer.   I pick up some Sweetwater and Terrapin every time I'm in the area.  Huge craft beer guy here. Cheers!

And you my friend are the winner!  You don't really win anything other than some beer cred unfortunately but I am super stoked someone commented on the beer selection!  I was hoping for that.  

Where do you live?  I am fortunate to have Sweetwater very close so I can pick it up pretty much anywhere.  While not my favorite IPA, it is definitely my go to IPA.  Easily available, great taste, and relatively inexpensive (as far as craft beer is concerned).  

Just had a growler / bar open up about 5 mins away...been pretty dangerous around the house as to what comes home!  Budget is taking a hit because of it too.
    Anderson, SC

• Hashmaker
    Hashmaker Posts: 149
    Sweetwater is a good beer. I travel to Munich Germany on business trips and have been spoiled by the beer. When it comes out of that cold wooden barrel, it's like heaven in a glass!

I'm glad to see the responses on the pizzas. I've learned here about clear smoke and always make sure it smells good before adding food. I'm also kind of OCDish about cleaning my egg. I take out the fire box and shop vac out the ashes probably more than I should but it's not that hard.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    r270ba said:
    YEMTrey said:

And you my friend are the winner!  You don't really win anything other than some beer cred unfortunately but I am super stoked someone commented on the beer selection!  I was hoping for that.  

Where do you live?  I am fortunate to have Sweetwater very close so I can pick it up pretty much anywhere.  While not my favorite IPA, it is definitely my go to IPA.  Easily available, great taste, and relatively inexpensive (as far as craft beer is concerned).  

Just had a growler / bar open up about 5 mins away...been pretty dangerous around the house as to what comes home!  Budget is taking a hit because of it too.
    I'm in Cincinnati.  Have a basement full of beer.  Have a pretty good selection that comes in to Ohio and Kentucky.  Lately I've been drinking a ton of Ballast Point Sculpin IPA.  Just started getting it in sixers here.
    Get to the Chicago area fairly often.  Hit Michigan for a beer gauntlet run every now and again. I'm already as obsessed with my Egg as I am with my beer.  But I'll be eating and drinking very well!
    Cheers!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• r270ba
    Hooray for Beer and Eggs!
    Anderson, SC