Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg Knives

ems5739
ems5739 Posts: 6
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone had any experience with the BGE knives from ERGO? I am considering looking for a set on Saturday at Eggtoberfest.

Comments

• esdd
    esdd Posts: 44
    I had to go look but I picked up some ergo knives at TJ MAXX back in the summer, They were really great looking knives with the laminated handles and the offset of the blade to the handle. The only problem with them is that out of the box they were not sa sharp as I would have expected and the stainless they are made of is so hard that they were difficult to sharpen. I usually use the scary sharp method of sharpening, and I had to resort to the powdered diamond paste on mdo board to achieve an extremely sharp edge. I havent used them that much and don't know how they hold their edge, also they don't fit well into a standard knife block. These knives are no where near the quality of the Wustoff and Henkels pro chefs set that I have in a maple block on my counter top.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    A good source for chef knives is http://www.chefknivestogo.com/

Look at the reviews, search this forum for advice.  Keep in mind the "best" knives need some TLC.  You need to hand wash and dry them immediately after use.  And hone them often.  If you're not prepared to be that dedicated (like F-it, I'm throwing it into the dishwasher), then take a look at German knives like Wustof. 

The Japanese are the current knife makin' BMFers.
    I looked around for some info. It seems they are made from a kind of steel described by the name "X50CrMoV15."

The site ZKnives, which has an immense amount of info about all sorts of knives, not just kitchen knives, reports this:"Very stain resistant. Other than that not much to speak of." & "If you don't want to bother maintaining your knives this is a good choice. Except for the low edge holding ability of course. In the end, you end up sharpening it a lot ..."

From here

I'd have to say "Nah..."
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    The restaurant where I work is in the finals for a state-wide "Iron Chefesque" competition - huge honour for us.  Here is one of the prizes for the winners:

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• This is the ultimate toy store for Japanese knives.  I bought 3 custom made knives from that site.  Fast delivery and all of their knives are top quality. 

http://japanesechefsknife.com/default.html

• I really appreciate the knowledgeable responses that all of you gave me. I am still relatively new to the world of BBQ so I have a lot to learn. Ill be at Eggtoberfest Saturday so hopefully it will be a learning experience as well as a good time.
  • You will love Eggtoberfest.  I went when they had it at their HQ's and went the first year at the Atlanta Motor Speedway.  It is a lot of fun.  Make sure you go on a trip around the track in the pace car.
  • That's one thing I am definitely looking forward to doing.