Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guava Wood

wingfoot
wingfoot Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone ever ordered from this site? Comments?[p]Mike
[ul][li]http://hawaiiguava.com/[/ul]

Comments

• wingfoot,[p]I 'spect Greg can chime in here (he's all over this forum, and hawaiiguava.com is his company!) but I can say that I'm a fan.[p]Like any of this mail order wood stuff, you'll pay almost exactly as much in shipping as you will for the product itself. This is no fault of the suppliers, or even the shippers for that matter. We are, after all, asking them to ship chunks of unfinished wood![p]I'm much more likely to pay for shipping on something like guava than I am for, say, hickory or some other woood that we could actually grow somewhere on the "mainland".[p]As to the wood itself; yes, get some. You'll like it. [p]I like different woods for different foods, but now that Greg introduced us all to this one, it will always be in my stock. Along with the fruit woods, grape vines, wine barrels, and all other sorts of odd things waiting to be sacrificed to the flavor gods.... ;)[p]Enjoy,
    bc

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    wingfoot,[p]Order from Greg with no worries.[p]It's a great product...he'll pack your box to the hilt...the shipping isn't unreasonable,and he provides friendly, speedy service!![p]So I say...."What's not to like about that"?[p]Chubby
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    wingfoot,[p]No problems. Greg Kemps's Guava wood and his service ROCKS. He must be good at jigzsaw puzzles based on how much guava chunks he can fit in the USPS Priority Mail box.[p]One very good note, no bark. Just Chunks.[p]You'll love it![p]Cheers,[p]GM

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister
    Guava.jpg
    <p />wingfoot,

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • wingfoot
    wingfoot Posts: 95
    All,[p]Thanks for the feedback....... I'm sending Greg a check tomorrow. [p]Mike
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    wingfoot,[p]I got my order several weeks ago and the Guava Wood is good stuff. I'll be ordering more soon![p]Smokey

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    wingfoot,
    I won some at the Texas Eggfest but haven't used it yet. I'm trying to figure out what to use it on. Got a real nice meatloaf in a pan and I'm thinking of using it on the meatloaf. Any ideals would be deeply depreciated.[p]Spring "Calls 'em As I Sees 'em" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• GrillMeister
    Spring Chicken,[p]Try it on slow cooked chicken thighs, salmon, sausage or pork tenderloin.[p]It's good stuff. It adds a subtle mild smoke flavor.[p]Cheers,[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    GrillMeister,[p]I just ordered some over the weekend. How many chunks do you use like for a pork tenderloin? I imagine you wouldn't need much.[p]mShark
  • Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    wingfoot,[p]It's a great deal and I have used it on both Chicken and Pork and love it's mild flavors...
  • GrillMeister
    Mollyshark,[p]One big one or a couple small ones. Works great! [p]Cheers,[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • bc,
    We have an orchard. Should I be thinking about saving some of the fall pruning to use? We have apple, pear, cherry, plum, grape vines, kiwi vines.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,659
    Gwen,
    i keep my grape vine prunings and have bought applewood from the local orchard. the grape is good with lamb and sausage. i havent trimmed my cherry tree but i will someday.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman,
    How long would the wood or vines need to 'cure' before it was useable?

• Gwen,[p]That's debatable (and oh so often *is* debated!), but I've had no problem using cherry, for instance, right off the tree.[p]When it's the main fuel, I've heard of commercial Q joints that will only accept green wood, and then use it up quickly, while others maintain that it must be kept dry for a year or two.[p]I don't think there's too much of a concern for seasoning the wood as you're only using it for smokey flavor, not as the main fuel. If it where the main fuel you'd be using up a lot of the heat energy "boiling" the water in the wood.[p]That's quite the selection you have there. Just give it a shot with different woods, and let us know![p]bc