Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

naked pizza peel

McNuttly
McNuttly Posts: 99
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

as a follow up to the many posts related to the topic of how to deliver a pie to the stone, I wanted to post a few pictures of the plain dry peel method.  It does take some practice but isn't at all difficult.  

First off, this is a quick warm rise dough put together at about 10am & on the egg by 1pm, just flour, water, yeast & salt.   A light dusting of bench flour down first, dough on & finger flattened, picked up to stretch & shake off any lose flour, then layed on the dry peel & topped.   Give the peel a shake after the dough is first on to be sure there are no sticking points.  Top it completely & give it another shake.  Take it to the egg where a final shake will get it moving onto the stone quite easily. 

The last 2 pictures are a different pie but I got the underneath shot at the end to show the dry stone:

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Great looking pie.  Reminds me of Grotto Pizza from the east coast beaches, with the cheese first, then the swirled sauce.  What type of cheese did you use?

This pie was half mozzarella, half cheddar, special request of one of the kids

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    McNuttly said:

as a follow up to the many posts related to the topic of how to deliver a pie to the stone, I wanted to post a few pictures of the plain dry peel method.  It does take some practice but isn't at all difficult.  

First off, this is a quick warm rise dough put together at about 10am & on the egg by 1pm, just flour, water, yeast & salt.   A light dusting of bench flour down first, dough on & finger flattened, picked up to stretch & shake off any lose flour, then layed on the dry peel & topped.   Give the peel a shake after the dough is first on to be sure there are no sticking points.  Top it completely & give it another shake.  Take it to the egg where a final shake will get it moving onto the stone quite easily. 

The last 2 pictures are a different pie but I got the underneath shot at the end to show the dry stone:

May I first compliment you on your excellent taste in granite. Secondly would you happen to have a dough recipe you could share?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    McNuttly said:

Grotto, you've spent time in Delaware though in this case the swirl is was actually paying homage to a New Jersey beach institution, can you name the establishment? 

Mack & Manco's in Ocean City?
    And did you know the first Grotto was actually at Harvey's Lake, outside of Wilkes-Barre, PA.  Went there a lot as kids.
  • Little Steven, you may compliment me.  Regarding the recipe, 4 cups of flour, cup & a half of water, teaspoon of salt, teaspoon of yeast, knead 10-15 minutes, sit it on the counter till it's twice the size & it's ready.  It can also sit all day till you're ready.  It can also be refrigerated for a few days till you're ready, in which case it will develop some flavor.  The pies here were sort of last minute so the final product was a little bready & not quite as good as it could've been, but still good
  • Tjcoley said:
    McNuttly said:

Grotto, you've spent time in Delaware though in this case the swirl is was actually paying homage to a New Jersey beach institution, can you name the establishment? 

Mack & Manco's in Ocean City?
    And did you know the first Grotto was actually at Harvey's Lake, outside of Wilkes-Barre, PA.  Went there a lot as kids.
    Mack & Mancos indeed, though I think it goes by Mancos alone now - not sure what happened there.  I did not know that about Grotto, not really a fan of their pies - they're good but there is much better in the general area
  • Little Steven
    McNuttly said:
    Little Steven, you may compliment me.  Regarding the recipe, 4 cups of flour, cup & a half of water, teaspoon of salt, teaspoon of yeast, knead 10-15 minutes, sit it on the counter till it's twice the size & it's ready.  It can also sit all day till you're ready.  It can also be refrigerated for a few days till you're ready, in which case it will develop some flavor.  The pies here were sort of last minute so the final product was a little bready & not quite as good as it could've been, but still good
    Have you perchance ever done a fried okra pie? A friend of mine sent me a pic of one recently and it looked wonderful

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• McNuttly said:
    Little Steven, you may compliment me.  Regarding the recipe, 4 cups of flour, cup & a half of water, teaspoon of salt, teaspoon of yeast, knead 10-15 minutes, sit it on the counter till it's twice the size & it's ready.  It can also sit all day till you're ready.  It can also be refrigerated for a few days till you're ready, in which case it will develop some flavor.  The pies here were sort of last minute so the final product was a little bready & not quite as good as it could've been, but still good
    Have you perchance ever done a fried okra pie? A friend of mine sent me a pic of one recently and it looked wonderful
    Why yes, yes indeed I have done a fried okra pie.  Your friend obviously has impeccable taste
  • Little Steven
    I thought it was rather unique. Certainly looked incredible but, of course, I could not tell him that.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fried okra pie?  Do those slimy buggers stay on the pie or do ya gotta toothpick 'em in place?
    Flint, Michigan
  •  

Fried okra pie?  Do those slimy buggers stay on the pie or do ya gotta toothpick 'em in place?
    rather than toothpicks I find that cementing them in place with mozzarella does the trick:
  • That's a nice lookin' pie!  Maybe I should get over my okra misgivings and give it a whirl.
    Flint, Michigan
  • thanks, they were dusted with a mixture of flour, cornmeal & rub.  I didn't dunk in milk or egg first, just used the natural slime of the okra to adhere the stuff.  Fried for maybe a minute or two just to be sure it was all welded on.  Besides that only mozzarella and a few roasted red peppers, mainly for color as the okra brings all the flavor needed:

• You're testing my limits!  I have an aversion to slimy!
    Flint, Michigan
  • I like your pictures!  I gotta do it!
    Flint, Michigan
  •  Fred19Flintstone said:

You're testing my limits!  I have an aversion to slimy!

nothing wrong with an aversion.  The way I see it all food wants to go in a certain direction, sometimes it's good to let it do its thing
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    What type of flour?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks like you found a good method that works for you! I will have to give the okra a try sometime, do you use frozen or can you get fresh okra in your area? I live in Oklahoma so a few grocery stores and all the farmers markets still have fresh here. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • henapple said:
    What type of flour?

nothing fancy, just Sams Club bread flour in the 25lb sack

Solson005 said:
    Looks like you found a good method that works for you! I will have to give the okra a try sometime, do you use frozen or can you get fresh okra in your area? I live in Oklahoma so a few grocery stores and all the farmers markets still have fresh here. 
    Yep, it's one of many methods - they all work, I'm a point of least resistance cook & this has the fewest moving parts so it suits me.  Regarding the okra, this was frozen - not sure I can get fresh, never looked for it.  I just happened to see this next to the bag of frozen brusel sprouts I was buying & thought I'd give it a go, it was a first