Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

anybody care to take a crack at this one?

Options
TonyA
TonyA Posts: 583
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I put a pork butt on about 9pm. Set the party q to run at 250 grate,  connected it at 225 and headed inside. Now the mavrick is reading 262 and i know the party is showing even higher ... 275 ... obviously the fan isnt running, and i trimmed the daisy wheel to half open... i mean the egg is virtually closed.

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I'd open it up to run at 300 dome. I haven't found much that needs cooler than that. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • TonyA
    Options
    That's 250 grate. I'm at least 300 done. How is it getting any air? Lol
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Abandon ship!!!!!!!! It's going to blow!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

If you want to keep the temp down I'd shut the top Daisey wheel another 50%. You are drawing too much air through the cooker as it is. IMO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• TonyA
    Options
    I agree, I just don't see where from

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

If you want to keep the temp down I'd shut the top Daisey wheel another 50%. You are drawing too much air through the cooker as it is. IMO

+1
    Does the partyq have a draft door like the fan for the cyber q?
    I need to shut half the draft door on the fan to keep lower temps
  • TonyA
    Options
    Well thanks guys. I'm going to bed. This one is going to have to go with God for a while. It will probably be 225 when I wake up with the fan running flat out. I'll post if I learn anything useful.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Does the partyq have a draft door like the fan for the cyber q? I need to shut half the draft door on the fan to keep lower temps
    I learned from cen-tex the partyQ uses the DW.
    Options
    Bad gasket?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• makis
    makis Posts: 81
    Options
    As i type this I am cooking a lambs leg, pork shanks and turkey in the EGG using my PartyQ set at 275 F. It is very accurate but my DW is open only by a hair.
    I think you have it way too open.
  • TonyA
    Options
    What Nola and Jim said gave me enough reason to go look. There is no draft door behind the fan so the party is pretty sensitive to the DW. I trimmed it to 1/4 open and it settled back down for the rest of the night. I'mat 194. Going to be perfect for lunch.
  • SamFerrise
    Options
    I always start my slow and low cooks slow and work my way up to my optimum temp. I do my brisket at 240-250 and it takes me about an hour to really stabilize it with the rack and plate setter in place.  When I get my brisket on and close the lid it takes about another hour to really stabilize again.  After that I never touch it or open it again until it is time to take it off.  I will use a 10 lb bag for an 18 hour cook and when its done there isn't much lump left.  My last brisket was 14.5 lbs and it was perfect at 195 internal temp.  FTC for 2 hours and it was fork tender and juicy.  I really can't justify spending $400 on a computer controlled system.  I can buy a lot of meat for $400.  Avoid electronic crack, it is too expensive.  My Green Egg digital works just fine for $40.   

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    @tony i have the BBQ guru i run my DW closed but for a tiny hair crack, damper on the fan is set at half way . not sure if the party Q has a damper . but doing it that way i hold 265grid and about 300 dome . depending on the breeze i may jump to 275 grid and drop again . haven't had a problem with mine doing it the food still turns out great also my gasket on my LBGE is all but completely gone and still maintains temp with or without the guru 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • TonyA
    Options
    This one hung at 194 for about an hour, I checked it and decided to take it off. Came out as good as usual.