Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak Photo Fail

Options
Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well shoot.  I made very nice T-bones and sweet potato for the family tonight, and somehow messed up the camera so I don't have photos.

Only thing that came through was the chef's appetizer.

Very ripe alligator pear avocado. Scoop the seed out, fill with lime and cracked pepper, and eat it right out of the shell.

Make sure you share some with your cat Bosie.

Who knows who Thomas Hudson is?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Very nice, Doc. That app would be a big hit here in TX. I'll have to try that soon. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Very nice, Doc. That app would be a big hit here in TX. I'll have to try that soon. 
    agreed: 

A little red wine vinaigrette drizzle and you have your most basic tex-mex guacamole salad that is so famous down here (smash it up, add jalapeno and onion for the real deal) . I would eat it they way Doc made it any time though. Looks great

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    edited October 2012
    Options

Here's a twist with the avacado-tried it last week and quite good-

Split-remove pit, brush with EVOO -salt and pepper.  Face down (raised grid direct-350+/-) 10-15 mins.  Dang good <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />and a brand new taste experience. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Hmmm, grilled avocado, very interesting.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Thomas Hudson?  I live in the birthplace of General Motors so I'm going to guess he built Hudson automobiles.  He's not the explorer Henry Hudson of whom the river is named.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Thomas Hudson?  I live in the birthplace of General Motors so I'm going to guess he built Hudson automobiles.  He's not the explorer Henry Hudson of whom the river is named.
    No cigar.  The hints are the cat Bosie, and how I served my avocado.  One of my favorite literary characters.

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    Islands in the stream by Hemingway.  Bosie was the name of one of Hemingway's many cats.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Ding.  My three favorite books; Islands in the Stream, The Fountainhead, and The Cain Mutiny. 

I am always trying to find ways to make drinks or serve up food as found in Hemingway stories.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    We went to Hemingway's house in Key West and saw a bunch of the ancestors of Hemingway's cats...many of which are polydactle (6 toes). 
    Options
    Ding.  My three favorite books; Islands in the Stream, The Fountainhead, and The Cain Mutiny. 

I am always trying to find ways to make drinks or serve up food as found in Hemingway stories.

Doc, one of my all time fav's is Islands in the Stream. I spent a large part of my adolescence in the Keys and Bahamas. They hold a special spot for me. Hemingway is a mans man and I love his work. 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    My time in the Keys, my trip to Cayo Sal, my love of Montana, and my general like of the Hemingway style, makes me a sucker for Hemingway stories.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Travis, I bet I've read that book over 10 times.  I have a really good talking book of it, except the reader doesn't know how to pronounce conch. which is a real distraction.  For Whom the Bell Tolls is another favorite.  The Old Man and the Sea, The Snows of Kilimanjaro......a short story about a boy camping and fly fishing in Montana.  I love to fly fish, and I love Montana.

• travisstrick
    Options
    Since having my son (4 months ago), I find that the Hemingway narrative style does not lend itself to out loud reading very well. Old man and the sea is hard to read out loud. 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Here's something I used to sing to my babies (who all turned out great despite my efforts).  Sung to Brahms's Lullaby, usually at about 0200......

Go to sleep
    Go to sleep
    Or we'll beat with a rock
    Till you're black and blue
    And swollen up too

Then we'll dig a great big hole
    Out back in the garden
    And we'll drop you way down deep
    Then we'll go back to sleep

BTW, all my kids inherited my sense of humor.

• travisstrick
    Options
    Doc, I knew I loved you for a reason. That is beautiful music. 
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    You guys know he was a misogynist, right? That he suffered from massive depression his whole life and killed himself? 

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • 10Driver
    Options
    Islands in The stream, my favorite book. Great reference. Doc are you talking about the version read by Bruce Greenwood? I don't know about his pronunciation of "conch" but I love his read. I can't watch Star Trek without being taken away to the Islands.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Doc, can identify with the lullaby in so many ways.
    Last week my son introduced us to grilled avocados done on his gasser, dressed them up with drizzle of lime juice. Really quite good. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!