Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's the point?......(hint, it's delicious)

Options
The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Did a brisket last night with 50/50 dizzy pig redeye and cow lick. I used the partyQ Mickey let me borrow and I reall enjoyed it. I did it at 200'for 2 hours to try to get a better smoke ring (didn't work). Then I bumped it up to 300 and let it ride all night. These things really work. It dialed in the temps and held rock solid all night. Almost felt like cheating :)

Here are some pics:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    looks really great Cen-Tex . red eye is awesome too . i have the bbq guru its great for holding temps even used it for holding rock steady when my wife wanted to do a cheese cake she insisted had to be at the exact temp 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sounds like a good mix - I like both of the DP rubs.   Another nice thing about the stokers, they really hold a stable temp when it's windy out.  Did a couple of butts through a hurricane and it held steady.  I'm certain I would've been fighting the temps as the wind keeps changing directions.
    Options
    @Cen-Tex-sounds like you are thinking about permanently going over to the "dark side".  Doesn't really matter how you get to the finish-line as long as you enjoy the ride!  BTW-looks great.  What time does the bourbon train depart the station??
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    That train left at half time for my brother (huge Horns fan).  He just texted me "(female dog) ass Mack Brown needs to be fired" 
    Options
    Mmmmmmm......Shiner Bock!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

That train left at half time for my brother (huge Horns fan).  He just texted me "(female dog) ass Mack Brown needs to be fired" 

Unwatchable. Horrible. I turned it off and went shopping with the wife........At Sam's.........for a girl party she is catering. That's how bad it was.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:

@Cen-Tex-sounds like you are thinking about permanently going over to the "dark side".  Doesn't really matter how you get to the finish-line as long as you enjoy the ride!  BTW-looks great.  What time does the bourbon train depart the station??

It was cool cap. Made a 75 degree temp adjustment with the push of a button. Went to be pd right after and some up and it was pegged where inset it.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Great, now I'm going to have to get one. I just left harbor freight with one of their HD heat guns(I melted my cheapy one).
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Love shiner...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Great, now I'm going to have to get one. I just left harbor freight with one of their HD heat guns(I melted my cheapy one).

I'll you this one to play with of Don Toyota says its ok. It does not have an XL adapter though. If the draft door is larger on an XL, you might have to find an adapter somewhere. Highly recommend playing with one to see if you like it. I'm sold.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    * I'll send you this one.....damn iPhone.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I saw his in his office one time. It looked pretty simple, unlike some of the other options.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    And the "dark side" population just keeps on growing :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I saw his in his office one time. It looked pretty simple, unlike some of the other options.

Took 1 minute to get it up and going. I've never used one before. Super simple.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks great! So those are the thick slices of point you were telling me about...Brisket slicing level 2. Sandwich looks legit!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    And the "dark side" population just keeps on growing :)>-
    @lousubcap just because you actually know rocket science, doesn't mean you cant give in to this little comfort of life :)>-
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I haven't had a shiner bock is years but you are certainly right about that.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

It was so good that I had A couple more.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:

Looks great! So those are the thick slices of point you were telling me about...Brisket slicing level 2.

Sandwich looks legit!

Yep. That's the way we roll. A little thicker. It was
    Pretty good. Not my best ever but still Pretty good.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    It was so good that I had A couple more.
    What was the black stuff you had in the other pics?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

lousubcap said:

It was cool cap. Made a 75 degree temp adjustment with the push of a button. Went to be pd right after and some up and it was pegged where inset it.
    I really need to proof these before posting :)

I think you get the point though?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Point (both ways) taken-and when I get too old I too shall move to the dark side.  I'm sure it beats the alternative :)>- At least that's what I've been told!
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    That sammich looks awesome. The game....should have gone shopping for a girl party instead.  Dallas was fun, but that was painful.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I don't think the oven's with the 1 to 10 scale knobs are very popular anymore.  They all have thermostats now.  Nothin' wrong with convenience.