Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wife is fully on board

Options
Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
After being on the road all week, and driving in 150 miles from Philly this afternoon, I suggested 'let's just order a pizza for dinner'. Wife actually said 'we can, but they are so much better on the Egg, let's have Egg pizza tomorrow'. She has finally converted. So now tomorrow will be a test. Pizza for dinner followed by a low and slow overnight butt. Never did a hot pizza cook followed by a low and slow overnight. Stay tuned and I'm open to any suggestions, other than I need another Egg.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    "Pizza for dinner followed by a low and slow overnight butt."  Sounds like a romantic evening :)
    I was thinking the same thing!
    Flint, Michigan
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    brown-chicken-brown-cow!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    I wish!  Still looking at a pizza cook followed by an overnight pulled pork low temp cook on the same Egg.  I figure I have to cool it down, refill the lump, then pull off a long all night/day cook to finish around 5 PM (or earlier FTC) on the pork.  May pull off a dessert in the same time frame.  Looking at what can a single egg do in 24 hours.  We'll see  
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    I wish!  Still looking at a pizza cook followed by an overnight pulled pork low temp cook on the same Egg.  I figure I have to cool it down, refill the lump, then pull off a long all night/day cook to finish around 5 PM (or earlier FTC) on the pork.  May pull off a dessert in the same time frame.  Looking at what can a single egg do in 24 hours.  We'll see  

I love it when you talk dirty
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I'd try getting as much lump as I could into the egg - a clean egg, even if I'm about to hit the bottom of the legs up plate setter.  Be efficient and throw the butts in the oven over adding more fuel if there's less than a couple hours left.
    edited October 2012
    Options

This elementary humor is hilarious.  Come on fellas, there are some women around here.

Good luck with the cook.  May be difficult backing the egg down with little fuel remaining for an overnighter.  All depends on your timing, which would be two separate cooks, if spaced out.  

And yes, two eggs would make this much easier.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Tjcoley
    Options
    I'm thinking partial load for the initial pizza cook, then filling it up for the overnight. Should be a good test of the potential.of the Egg
    Options
    I've done an insane amount in one load.  Your ability to be good at endurance cooking is entirely dependent on how much BTU in lump you load up versus how much you use to do the job.  I haven't heard of problems from overloading the egg with lump.  There's a limit, but getting a good night's sleep trumps all.  Good cookin', tj
    Options
    Focker said:

This elementary humor is hilarious.  Come on fellas, there are some women around here.

Sorry, my woman is the youngest of 8 kids,  and she's more into the sophomoric innuendo  than I am.  I keep forgetting.... :)
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    I'm thinking partial load for the initial pizza cook, then filling it up for the overnight. Should be a good test of the potential.of the Egg

You want a good preheat with the ceramic, at least 30 min.  It would not hurt to load it up for both.  You can use the remaining lump from the pizza cook for the overnighter. 

After the pizza cook, shut down to decrease egg temp, add wood, fill with lump, and whatever setup you chose.  Depending on what temp you do pizzas, it may take several hours to get the egg down to BBQ temps.  Adding water to a drip pan may speed this process.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Fly310
    Fly310 Posts: 13
    Options
    I did pizza last night.  AFTER I got the egg cranked up and running at 650 degrees dome temp, my wife announced that she had thrown the pizza peel away a few weeks ago because "it was cracked!"  Jeez..So, I had to run to the outlet mall (about a mile away) to get a new one.  Closed the air door at the bottom down to approx 1" to keep it from running away, and never put the daisy wheel on.  25 min later when we got back, the dome temp was down to just under 300 degrees.  So, it won't take long to cool it down.  Opened the air door back up, and was at 700 degrees in 4 minutes!  I timed it.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I have done steaks and burgers followed by a low and slow. What I did was after finishing the hot portion was to restrict the vents to the approximate setting for low and slow, two hours later I added more charcoal, the wood for smoking and the plate setter. It worked like a charm, in your case you have hot plate setter to deal with but if you give it time to go under 300 you should be able to remove it safely with oven mitts. In any case I would suggest giving things a couple of hours for the temperature to stabilize at your lower target.

Gerhard
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    I say your cooks are in the wrong order. You should do the butt first so you can have a pulled pork pizza!
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    Thanks all.  I'll post the results later on.  Just cleaned out the Egg and refilled with a mix of BGE and WGWW and I'll be starting in an hour or so.
    Options

"Pizza for dinner followed by a low and slow overnight butt."  Sounds like a romantic evening :)

This. This is why I love this forum. Oh, and eating.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    Update - Apple Strudel (see separate thread) done at 400, pizzas done at 550, Egg now cooling down and reloaded with lump for the pork in another 2 hours or so.  Down to 300 - just hope the fire doesn't go out completely.  Vents are set where I usually do of an overnighter.