Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Popped my Egg cherry

johncrist
johncrist Posts: 2
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
After The Mrs. and I moved into our new house, I decided to splurge and went with an XLBGE. I finally fired it up this past Saturday for a long day of college football, and I can't believe how great everything was.

Even though I'd never done it before, I cooked a whole chicken. The recipe wasn't fancy or anything, as I simply stuffed it with garlic and onions and then slathered the outside with olive oil, salt, pepper and Old Bay. I rigged up something to give it an indirect cook -- haven't had a chance to go hog wild with accessories just yet -- and did it low and slow at about 300 degrees for an hour and a half. It was the juiciest chicken I've ever tasted. Just a dab of barbecue sauce on the side, and it was perfect. After that, my buddy seared up some steaks that were magnificent. We were amazed at how easily (and quickly) we could rev the temperature up from about 300 to 500-plus. All the veggies were dynamite, too. Especially the sweet potato. Just wrapped it in foil and threw it on there. Awesome.

After her initial skepticism, not to mention giving me a hard time about spending over a thousand dollars for a grill, The Mrs. is already a believer. Can't wait for Thanksgiving Day. I'm going to give that Mad Max turkey recipe a shot.

Comments